Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the winners of Clysdale. Guy on left "claimed" he weighed 200, but he looked about 180 with 3% bodyfat to me..he got 2nd. He got called out on the podium... Guy in the middle lost like 40 lbs since last season, and is buff, but still about 220. Guy on the right is me, 3rd place, pudgy at 235lbs.

However, I did win the BIG KAHUNA trophy. Basically they put twinkies out on the trail in piles in 3 different spots, and the clyd who brought the most twinkies back (un-eaten) won the big KAHUNA trophy. There was a rule that you could only get 5 twinkies per stop.

In the event of a tie, there would be a eat-off - timed presumably.

Turns out I was the only one who stopped to pick any up...I stopped at all 3 places to get them. I got passed nearly each time, but was able to chase back on. No telling if I could have won or not in abscense of the twinkie gathering...I think I was beat by 2 minutes or so at the line (10mile tight single track race - about 1h finish time).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Way to go BIG KAHUNA...

ncj01,
Congratulations on your race and twinkie collecting . Sounds like good fun. I saw the pictures of your GF292, it's awesome. I'm jealous of that bike. I'm riding a converted 29er Bullit (39lbs) and loving it. Anyway, keep up the good work in your races.
Ride on,
Leonard

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
57clydesdale said:
ncj01,
Congratulations on your race and twinkie collecting . Sounds like good fun. I saw the pictures of your GF292, it's awesome. I'm jealous of that bike. I'm riding a converted 29er Bullit (39lbs) and loving it. Anyway, keep up the good work in your races.
Ride on,
Leonard
thanks man..

my plan is to train on the road, then smoke the guy in yellow, then move to beginner...

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
ncj01 said:
thanks man..

my plan is to train on the road, then smoke the guy in yellow, then move to beginner...
Grats on the podium, did you do the race in jeans too ? :D

Good luck with your training.

ps. How on earth did you carry a bunch of twinkies ? On second thoughts do I even want to know ?

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kyoseki said:
Grats on the podium, did you do the race in jeans too ? :D

Good luck with your training.

ps. How on earth did you carry a bunch of twinkies ? On second thoughts do I even want to know ?
.ah.ha.ha.a....oh yea man....

Well, no camel bak, no bag, no extra carrying device of any king, with 15 twinkies total, and lets just say the phrase "Baby Got Back" does apply.

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
ncj01 said:
.ah.ha.ha.a....oh yea man....

Well, no camel bak, no bag, no extra carrying device of any king, with 15 twinkies total, and lets just say the phrase "Baby Got Back" does apply.
Phew, I'll bet your glad there was no eat off then :)

.. I seem to be having visions of the pizza moment from Dodgeball now though, curses.

I reckon next time they ought to force everyone in the clydesdale category to drink a pint of Tennent's Super at every drinks stop, that'll stop the weedy buggers like the guy on the left in their tracks :)

Or weigh the riders like jockeys, very big jockeys :D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Kyoseki said:
Or weigh the riders like jockeys, very big jockeys :D
And add sandbags to the lighter riders to bring them up to the correct weight just like with horses :)

At the registration table:

"Sure you can race clyde step on the scale please.. oh you're 180.... Here's your 20lbs of sand to carry have fun" :)

I'd be happy to race against the skinny 150lb guy if he had to carry 50lbs of sand.

·
Humpmaster general
472 Posts
Those guys are not Clydes, Hell your head weighs more then that one guy. Did you find a helmet big enough to fit that head or do you have to wear a bucket or something?

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jack Hass said:
Those guys are not Clydes, Hell your head weighs more then that one guy. Did you find a helmet big enough to fit that head or do you have to wear a bucket or something?
I tend to agree with you. But I say fugg'em'...if they have a desire to win that bad, let them do it...if I wasn't stoppin' for twinkies 3x on the trail and shovin' them in my shorts, I might could have clipped 1 or both of them....then they'd really be shamed....as it was they were shamed on the podium...esp 2nd place dude on the left. Personally I weigh 235, so I KNOW where I belong...

re: helmet - barely, XL size...

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
ncj01 said:
I tend to agree with you. But I say fugg'em'...if they have a desire to win that bad, let them do it...if I wasn't stoppin' for twinkies 3x on the trail and shovin' them in my shorts, I might could have clipped 1 or both of them....then they'd really be shamed....as it was they were shamed on the podium...esp 2nd place dude on the left. Personally I weigh 235, so I KNOW where I belong...

re: helmet - barely, XL size...
I'm still working on getting down to sub superclyde territory, from past experience when I'm down to 220/225 I'm really fit, and certainly a lot bigger than the guy in the middle, he looks buff but he also looks short (unless you're 6'6"), I'm having a hard time believing that he's 200+.

I always have problems getting a skid lid that fits my bonce, really hampers my choice of crash helmet for the motorcycle.

Next time you race these guys, you should glue a bucket over your helmet AND stop for twinkies and *still* trounce them, then who'd look silly :)

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ncj01 said:
Misson Accomplished...

Very thorough report with many pic's and discussions on the topic here

I tried to copy/paste the actual post here, but it won't let me...good read though...was nice to train and train, and finally beat the Sandbagger(s)...badly...

Now, I plan to move to beginner, despite still being 220 or so and still look pudgy...is that a good call or bad call? Should I stay in C-class if I can beat them all?

·
gentle like
14,837 Posts
I say nah. If you've won the C-category, move on up ... even if you're 220, you don't want to be the ringer. Where's the fun in knowing you've likely got it in the bag? Move on up, take the next challenge.

Of course, this coming from a guy who decided to ride ss category instead of clyde, beginner, or even sport in his last race and got his ass kicked badly. "Someone has to come last" sounds noble, but feels better when you're saying it regarding someone else. My two lap average would have put me second in beginner, but I didn't think that would be fair either; I've rode (and taught) mtb's for a looong time.

So go beginner, win there and get down to your fighting weight, and then go sport.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I believe the Guy on the left in that photo is 200 lbs. Reminds me of myself, I'm 6' 4" 200-205lbs. I get Questioned alot about my weight or lack of weight. I can't wait for the day when they pull the scales out and I can say "See you are WRONG! " I do believe a weight- in would be a good Idea.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
speed metal said:
I believe the Guy on the left in that photo is 200 lbs. Reminds me of myself, I'm 6' 4" 200-205lbs. I get Questioned alot about my weight or lack of weight. I can't wait for the day when they pull the scales out and I can say "See you are WRONG! " I do believe a weight- in would be a good Idea.
I agree, it may be technically possible that he was 200lbs...with clothes.

This comes back to the question of if he's a "real cyldsdale" or not...of which I don't profess to know the answer, though I do feel I understand the debate...

On 1 hand, 200lbs is 200lbs, and that's the official criteria.

On the other, it's total BS to have a 6-4 guy weighing 201 compete against a "classic clydsdale" like myself...classic clyd meaning "dude who is overweight"...

A 6-4 201 lbs rider is not overweight by any stretch of the imagination, I'm guessing that's equivalent to a 5-9 racer at 160lbs...not quite fair to race in clyd class...

I DO understand the whole "overweight" or not issue...ie, you can easily be over 200 and not be overweight, blah blah blah...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
congrats on your victory!!!!!!!!!

i agree that the guy on the far left is no clyde. the guy in the middle is, i dont think clyde means fat. it means a big guy wether hes fat or muscular or a little of both.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.