Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

Anyone have any thoughts on race nutrition for 4+ Hour races? I have had some cramping (calf mostly) issues in the past that I am hoping to avoid. I currently have tried Hammer Heed and Saltstick Caps along with Gels or Shotblocks. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on products like Perpeteum or any other alternatives. Also, has anyone tried training products like Endurox etc.?

Thank you,
Jeff

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
I started using Sports Legs capsules for extended hikes/rides after initially using them on my Mt. Whitney hike last summer. I would cramp up in my calf after 15+ miles on the trail but after using these I don't have that issue. I also put more thought into pre-hydration which helps in conjunction with the capsules.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,700 Posts
Hammer says the Heed is for shorter outings while Perpetuem is for longer outings. I never use Heed, just Perpetuem. I still need to mix in some electrolyte. It ends up being like melted orange ice cream. I like it, but that's not for everyone.
It did not work the first 2 times I used it, but has been good ever since.

Check over on the racing forum, too.

-F

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
Thanks. I will check out that forum. What sort of proportions do you use, and do you use it pre or during race?
I cut the gel about 50/50 with PJ. For short (~2-2.5 hour) races I'll use half a flask. Longer races I'll fill it up and use it as I need it.
Typically don't use it pre-race.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.