Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
XCdude
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the house of pain, blasting and racing on yeah. long live the mp3 players(nano):thumbsup:

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I am actually really surprised the race your in actually allows music. IMO, i think its a really bad idea to be listening to music while racing. How would you ever hear some coming up on you or someone telling you something? Could potentially be dangerous....

·
Registered
236 Posts
No...it's pretty much looked down upon here, and I've never seen any of the pros do it so I don't, although I could see how it would help in a race. I listen only for long endurance type rides.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
nrs_air said:
No...it's pretty much looked down upon here, and I've never seen any of the pros do it so I don't, although I could see how it would help in a race. I listen only for long endurance type rides.
I don't typically see them do it in the typical XC format, but I've seen several of them do it in the Marathons.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
moab63 said:
I love the house of pain, blasting and racing on yeah. long live the mp3 players(nano):thumbsup:
It's against NORBA rules. From the Norba rulebook....

- No headphones, earbuds, or anything similar will be allowed on course during any race. It does not matter if it is a two-way radio, iPod, or a Walkman.

·
XCdude
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess no one has noticed and I only use one

ear piece. Also I only done it a few times, plus common people are driving with laptops open at 80 mph, or a cell phone while they breakup so I think the are a few places where this kind of distraction is more dangerous:rolleyes:

Actually the reason I don`t do itmore often is because I worried about a breaking them up in a crash, in a race everything is more aggresive. The pros in the tours have an ear piece.:eekster:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
moab63 said:
Nothing. Nada. ZERO. Zip. and I avoid the distracted racers with headphones on. If you are racing pay attention to the race.

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
That is one of my pet peeves in racing. Nothing more annoying than coming up on someone..."On your left, on your left, ON YOUR LEFT!!!" but the tunes are blasting too loud for them to hear you:madmax:

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
Pros have a two way radio. It's not constant music. It's to relay strategy, crashes and traffic/road issues.

I use my ipod to train on the road and rail trail but keep it low enough to hear cars and people/cyclists behind me. I think it's a bad idea on singletrack though and a terrible idea in a race.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
moab63 said:
the only time i've ever used music while i raced was in a 24 hr race. i had one ear bud in and found the music distracting and nearly hit a tree.

from now on i'll just sing. :D

rt

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Here in our Utah race series, there is a guy that uses an mp3 while racing but with no headphones.....instead he blasts little loud speakers that he puts he puts in his jersey pockets.

He's pretty well known for that, being a local DJ and all. He typically warms-up by doing the sport class race, then races the expert class, all with ambient music.

You can hear him coming up the hills during the climbs, blasting some Sean Paul or equivalent Reggae jams.

Apparently he thinks it's worth the weight penalty. But you could put a 15" Sub-Woofer on his back and he'll still kick my butt.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I could be totally wrong about this, but isnt there radios that run off part of your pedaling energy so you can listen to the radio on your bike? Sort of like those generator lights.

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
Poncharelli said:
Here in our Utah race series, there is a guy that uses an mp3 while racing but with no headphones.....instead he blasts little loud speakers that he puts he puts in his jersey pockets.
That's genius! I've got to remember that for cross season.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
BruceBrown said:
It's against NORBA rules. From the Norba rulebook....

- No headphones, earbuds, or anything similar will be allowed on course during any race. It does not matter if it is a two-way radio, iPod, or a Walkman.
Just curious, where did you find this?
I just read through the online rule book and couldn't find it.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.