Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't.

But there is a MTB time trial race that I really like due to the old-skool nature of the course. It is within a city park on trails that were started by BMXers back when I was a BMXer (that's pretty long ago in terms of MTB trails). The course has ranged from maybe 5 mi to as much as 13 miles one year, but they generally like to keep it around 40 minutes. Riders leave every 30 seconds.

I totally forgot how hard racing is! :LOL:

1st, it takes me awhile to warm up. So 20 minutes lapping the soccer field before I even went to the start gate.

I actually paced well, until the guy who won, who started behind me, passed me. He got me right at the exact spot on the course where I know I am fast. And I was fast. I dogged him for maybe 3/4 mi. sincerely hoping I could make him screw up.

He didn't.

Then he rode away from me. But at that point I wanted to keep some momentum. I tried, but I am not used to maintaining that level of output. I can usu. go hard for 75 minutes before I start sputtering. This race would take less than 1/2 that time. And, in a time trial, "hard" is simply redline - all. the. way.

After I calmed down a bit, I got back in my rhythm - at which point I think the 2nd place guy passed me - and I finished well.

I forgot how hard, but how FUN it is!
And the fact that I should put forth such an effort when no one is chasing me, I don't need to catch my food, and I have no chance of winning, makes it all seem a bit crazy. But it was still fun!

Afterwards I talked bikes with lots of people I never met before mostly due to the fact that I ride solo or with social rides instead of with the race crowd (which are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but the racers just ride fast all the time so the social group doesn't often overlap it).

So don't be afraid to give it a go if a race comes up on your favorite trail.

-F

·
CEO Product Failure
2,403 Posts
I really love mtb time trials. Not a fan of bottlenecks and slower riders who won't allow you to pass.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I did my first race yesterday, the Maybury TT in Michigan, the description of your race sounds awfully similar! I enjoyed it a bunch, the TT format was a lot of fun and encouraged people to let you pass if it was clear you should be ahead. Ended up winning my class by a decent margin and should've raced in a class up. Really good vibe from the whole event and many good people to meet.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I really love mtb time trials. Not a fan of bottlenecks and slower riders who won't allow you to pass.
The rider in front of me was maybe 11. He finished 3rd place junior. He and I rode together for about a minute. He was doing great and we were bantering a bit. His Dad was following with a GoPro. At a suitable spot we parted and I continued. Other slower riders were equally cool. The race had a great vibe all the way!

-F

PS - although that does remind me that at the same event years ago a woman would not yield the trail and I ended up almost taking her out in a very aggressive pass. She kinda had it coming, though. That still didn't spoil a great event.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,885 Posts
I've always been jealous of guys who can go hard in TT and crit races. I just don't have it in me. Endurance racing I'm fine, but for some reason I just don't do well blowing myself up for 45 minutes solid.

I'm more like a an old Volvo engine than a bottle rocket lol

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've always been jealous of guys who can go hard in TT and crit races. I just don't have it in me. Endurance racing I'm fine, but for some reason I just don't do well blowing myself up for 45 minutes solid.

I'm more like a an old Volvo engine than a bottle rocket lol
Sound like me. The longer the event, the better I do. 60min GLHs at 99% are terrible, but let me ride at 80% for 3+ hours and I am golden. Added benefit for the fast guys to have mechanicals and move up due to attrition lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sound like me. The longer the event, the better I do. 60min GLHs at 99% are terrible, but let me ride at 80% for 3+ hours and I am golden. Added benefit for the fast guys to have mechanicals and move up due to attrition lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was/is my "problem".
I don't ride at high intensity for short duration, and I don't "train" at intervals or anything.

But I used to, on a 5.5 mi. commute. So I have a good idea how I'm going to feel if I decide to go for it. It was good to be reminded how that feels.

-F

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't.

But there is a MTB time trial race that I really like due to the old-skool nature of the course. It is within a city park on trails that were started by BMXers back when I was a BMXer (that's pretty long ago in terms of MTB trails). The course has ranged from maybe 5 mi to as much as 13 miles one year, but they generally like to keep it around 40 minutes. Riders leave every 30 seconds.

I totally forgot how hard racing is! :LOL:

1st, it takes me awhile to warm up. So 20 minutes lapping the soccer field before I even went to the start gate.

I actually paced well, until the guy who won, who started behind me, passed me. He got me right at the exact spot on the course where I know I am fast. And I was fast. I dogged him for maybe 3/4 mi. sincerely hoping I could make him screw up.

He didn't.

Then he rode away from me. But at that point I wanted to keep some momentum. I tried, but I am not used to maintaining that level of output. I can usu. go hard for 75 minutes before I start sputtering. This race would take less than 1/2 that time. And, in a time trial, "hard" is simply redline - all. the. way.

After I calmed down a bit, I got back in my rhythm - at which point I think the 2nd place guy passed me - and I finished well.

I forgot how hard, but how FUN it is!
And the fact that I should put forth such an effort when no one is chasing me, I don't need to catch my food, and I have no chance of winning, makes it all seem a bit crazy. But it was still fun!

Afterwards I talked bikes with lots of people I never met before mostly due to the fact that I ride solo or with social rides instead of with the race crowd (which are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but the racers just ride fast all the time so the social group doesn't often overlap it).

So don't be afraid to give it a go if a race comes up on your favorite trail.

-F
I am passive aggressively training for the Salzkammergut Trophy 2022.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.