Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I read in a recent issue of MBA that you can determine what your LT is by taking 5% of your average HR in a XC race and adding it to it. Having just done a (very tough) Expert race yesterday, I came up with the following figures on my Polar HRM:

Time: 2:39:58
Average HR: 184
Max HR: 197

Now, if I take 5% of 184, I get 9.2. Add that to 184 and my supposed LT is 193!

Does that seem a little high? It certainly does to me. Forgive my ignorance, BTW, but this is my first experience with a HRM. I'd like to do the 30-minute TT Friel method for finding my LT, but I have no extended flat roads in my area, it's all hills around here! Can I use the Friel method on rollers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are many things that could affect your average heart rate in a race that would leave it much higher than you expected. Your level of excitement, whether you had any caffeine, the temperature, you hydration level, and many other factors can raise (or lower) your heart rate. Heart rate is just an approximation of your effort/output, and it can be more or less accurate depending on the situation.

I've seen my heart rate 50 beats over normal while sitting at the start of a race.

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
yes, you're supposed to subtract 5%. The 5% figure is just an approximation of how elevated your heart rate will be owing to the race environment, ie adrenaline and excitement, over your normal heart rate at an equivalent effort.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rapwithtom said:
yes, you're supposed to subtract 5%. The 5% figure is just an approximation of how elevated your heart rate will be owing to the race environment, ie adrenaline and excitement, over your normal heart rate at an equivalent effort.
Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I don't know why MBA said to add it, but maybe they should just stick to reporting on the newest rides instead of giving training tips ;) Anyway, thanks for setting that straight...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.