Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
w3rd.
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wheel set I have on my Fuel is going on a year or two old, which isn't that old for a wheelset. (right?)

I only have a problem with the rear wheel, where the pant is peeling off the wheel.

I know that this can't be alot of crashes and rocks hitting the wheel, since the paint is peeling all around the nipples.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
My Guess...

would be that is is just the stress of everyday riding. Depending on the durability of the rim itself this might be a good warning sign that it is getting ready to start cracking there as well. I have never owned a rim with "paint" or whatever that coating is so I have never experienced that but I have had many rims develop hairline cracks from the nipple holes. Although probably not recommended I did continue to ride the cracked rims for quite some time.

And to answer your first comment, your wheels are not old at all. Besides the disc wheels I just built up over the summer my newest pair of wheels is 5 yrs old with some approaching 15 yrs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
hmm

Purple Liquid said:
The wheel set I have on my Fuel is going on a year or two old, which isn't that old for a wheelset. (right?)

I only have a problem with the rear wheel, where the pant is peeling off the wheel.

I know that this can't be alot of crashes and rocks hitting the wheel, since the paint is peeling all around the nipples.

this is the anodizing flaking off, weird, looks like some corrosion has started to, which could cause this to happen also. the pics arent the best so its hard to tell.
i would have a dealer take a look at this maybe for warranty?

·
Registered
419 Posts
2inthehole said:
Purple Liquid said:

this is the anodizing flaking off, weird, looks like some corrosion has started to, which could cause this to happen also. the pics arent the best so its hard to tell.
i would have a dealer take a look at this maybe for warranty?
those rims are powder coated. I am assuming this is an "paint" adhesion problem and not a structural problem. if they are less than a year old, I would try to warranty the one w/ the problem.

·
Registered
236 Posts
right

funkenstein said:
those rims are powder coated. I am assuming this is an "paint" adhesion problem and not a structural problem. if they are less than a year old, I would try to warranty the one w/ the problem.
you're right, the race lites are anodized, the races are paint....
its hard to say if you will get a warranty out of this...since they're out of a year warranty.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
anodizing does'nt peel, its a chemical treatment. Any chance those nipples were too tight going in? maybe too much powder ct or paint over filling the holes, then when you push the nipples in, the coating cracks and eventually peels. either way I think the manufacturer
should stand behind them, even if they are out of warranty they are defective. Unless whoever built the wheels was too rough and over tightened the spokes

·
w3rd.
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dan0 said:
anodizing does'nt peel, its a chemical treatment. Any chance those nipples were too tight going in? maybe too much powder ct or paint over filling the holes, then when you push the nipples in, the coating cracks and eventually peels. either way I think the manufacturer
should stand behind them, even if they are out of warranty they are defective. Unless whoever built the wheels was too rough and over tightened the spokes
I called my LBS, and I told them paint was peeling and where blah blah blah etc.

I told them that I thought it was either a poor paint job, or that when putting together the rim, they over tightened the spokes. (Since it was the shop that put the wheel together)

Of course they said it couldn't be the biek shop's fault simply because they do everything right all the time. :rolleyes:

They're giving Trek a call, but I doubt Trek is warranty anything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's a common problem with bontrager, and for that matter Trek parts. My Race lite wheels has changed colour to a somewhat violet at different places round the wheel. My seatpost quick-release has turned from black to bronze. My Fuel ex 9 frame got some strange spots, where the anodising just turned from dark blue to light, almost white blue.

I got a new frame under warranty, but no explanation about what had caused it. I had not used any detergents, just washed the bike and parts with normal water. My LBS got three frames with the same problem. Right out of the box.

I guess Trek and Bontrager just have cut costs by using poor paint and anodising methods..

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Over tightening the spokes would not cause the....

powder coat to peal like that. May have been a problem when the wheel was originally manufactured and the eyelets were pressed in at the factory, but highly unlikely. From the look of it, the shop that built that wheel used some kind of lube on the spokes that has overtime reacted with the powder coat. The reason that I say this is that it is mainly around the eyelets that this is happening. There could have been a problem with the powder coat process that made the problem worse. There are lubes out there that can react with powder coat and paints. It would be interesting to find out what your LBS uses for lube on the spokes when they build a wheel. Anyway, ALL parts on a Trek, or anyother bike for that matter, are only warranted for the length of time that the manufacturer of that part warrants it. Doesn't matter if they own the parts manufacturer or not. Most after market parts are only warranted for 1 year no matter who makes them. But I would have Trek look at them as there maybe some defect that they will stand behind, or there may be some problem that they are not yet aware of. But from the look of it my money is still on your LBS having used some kind of lube during the build that reacted with the powder coat. Powder coat is durable, but not indestrucable.

Good Dirt

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
Squash said:
ALL parts on a Trek, or anyother bike for that matter, are only warranted for the length of time that the manufacturer of that part warrants it. Doesn't matter if they own the parts manufacturer or not. Most after market parts are only warranted for 1 year no matter who makes them.
Good Dirt
This is true. Most parts are warrantied for a period of one year. There are exceptions, Chris King headsets carry a 10 year warranty, King hubs - 5 year. Crank Brothers pedals - 2 year.

The Trek life time warranty is for the frame only.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
unless the defect doesn't show up until after the warranty, then there would be some kind of liability to the manufacturer as to normal expectations of wear and lifetime. In other words, if everyone elses wheels are not peeling after 2 years and yours are there is something wrong with your wheels, you just need to prove who's fault it is. I would think that the manufacturer would replace them for good will unless the shop did something wrong, but its up to them to push for it. They will have more clout since they buy alot more wheels than you. And the manufacturer doesn't pay near what you or the bike shop do. so its really only costing them a few bucks to keep a good customer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.