Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
flat_chipmunk said:
Is there any upsweep/rise? If so, about how much?
Not that I have felt. It feels like a nice riser bar with no rise.

I love it! :thumbsup: I would recommend it highly.

at 5'9" I have to run a flat bar and a -7 deg. stem to get any drop from the saddle to the bars.

Buy the bar you will not regret it. And if you do I do accept donations.

·
Registered
540 Posts
width and sweep?

Flooredsubaru said:
Not that I have felt. It feels like a nice riser bar with no rise.

I love it! :thumbsup: I would recommend it highly.

at 5'9" I have to run a flat bar and a -7 deg. stem to get any drop from the saddle to the bars.

Buy the bar you will not regret it. And if you do I do accept donations.
I can't find this bar anywhere.....What is the width and sweep? Where to buy?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bar

My question about if it had any rise is because of this statement on Bontrager's website:

"Big Sweep version features an offset center taper and 12 degrees of sweep for additional rise and comfort."

·
Registered
250 Posts
off-center taper is kind-of sort-of like rise

...but so slight as to be negligible, from the one I've tried. Off-Center Taper just means it's a flat bar, with the top of the grip section running closer to the same height as the top of the clamp section. That can't be more than an eighth of an inch.

At 640mm, I found them to be a little too narrow. In roadie-land, everyone knows how important it is to get bars that fit your body, and in MTB, although there's a variety of lengths to choose from from different manufacturers, the "correlation" hasn't seemed to catch on: "Oh, you're a really big guy, so you need some really big bars. Here's Brand/Model X in your size." Instead, the Monkeylite SL seems fine for "littler" guys, the Big Sweep is a good fit for "medium" guys who don't want rise, a regular Monkeybar or Monkeylite is fine for a "large" guy and if you're enormous you might be able to find a 28" bar from company X, company Y, or company Z. That's a pretty far cry from "hey, you're a roadie, what kind of bar do you want? Oh, well, we have it here in 38cm, 40cm, 42cm, 44cm, and 46cm, and, based on your shoulder width you should get a 42."

I'd like a Big Sweep that's longer. Or a Monkeylite that's flatter. Or a Mary that's lighter. Seems like Bontrager's old maxim about "strong, light, cheap: pick any two," except MTB'ers can have "right width, right sweep, right rise, right weight... pick any two, perhaps any three..."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.