Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I'm looking for suggestions for a FS XC tire, riding in the Southeast (wet, rocky), 150lb rider, looking to lighten up my 2.1 Nevegals. I'll be running Stans (non-UST wheel, FSA X300). I'm trying to decide between the 2.2 RK and 2.2 MK, supersonic/black chili. Love the Nevegal tread, hate the weight. Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
440 Posts
chanp said:
Help! I'm looking for suggestions for a FS XC tire, riding in the Southeast (wet, rocky), 150lb rider, looking to lighten up my 2.1 Nevegals. I'll be running Stans (non-UST wheel, FSA X300). I'm trying to decide between the 2.2 RK and 2.2 MK, supersonic/black chili. Love the Nevegal tread, hate the weight. Thanks everybody.
Conti supersonic tires have very thin sidewalls. Supersonic + Stans is a very dangerous combination for rocky terrain. Recently I warned some guy - he did not listen...

Read this thread: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6871&page=6

I'm not sure what exactly happened that time... I thought a tire blew

·
Registered
290 Posts
Whateves.... Stan's works great with Mountain King Supersonics. I've got a 2.2 with close to 1000 miles on it that has been running Stan's the whole time. I was running a 2.4 as well, but I tore the sidewall when I landed (hard) on a curb doing some urban assult. I don't know what tire wouldn't have torn, the way it went. Yes the sidewalls are thin, but in my experience, they are surprisingly tough. The set of tires I buy will be another MK SS 2.4 for the front and a 2.2 for the rear. I'm riding an Anthem X (I was on a Trance X). Also, I'm running this MK SS 2.2 with Stan's on Crossmax ST wheels with no rimstrip, just the UST valve. I have had one burping incident, but I was running way too low air pressure in the first place and it seated itself right back up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh yeah, Chanp:
On your original question, a riding partner of mine was running a RK SS and he actually got several cuts through the casing in rocky conditions. He had flats with Stan's and then with tubes, too. His MK SS and mine have been great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CRogge said:
Whateves.... Stan's works great with Mountain King Supersonics. I've got a 2.2 with close to 1000 miles on it that has been running Stan's the whole time. I was running a 2.4 as well, but I tore the sidewall when I landed (hard) on a curb doing some urban assult. I don't know what tire wouldn't have torn, the way it went. Yes the sidewalls are thin, but in my experience, they are surprisingly tough. The set of tires I buy will be another MK SS 2.4 for the front and a 2.2 for the rear. I'm riding an Anthem X (I was on a Trance X). Also, I'm running this MK SS 2.2 with Stan's on Crossmax ST wheels with no rimstrip, just the UST valve. I have had one burping incident, but I was running way too low air pressure in the first place and it seated itself right back up.
I think that sidewalls are the same for all Conti Supesonic Tyres..if you cut it it has got the same

·
Registered
290 Posts
Marco666 said:
I think that sidewalls are the same for all Conti Supesonic Tyres..if you cut it it has got the same
I was referring to the casing below the tread. He wasn't getting cuts on his sidewalls. I was running MKs, front and rear and he was running a RK. He was right behind me and he got 3 flats, while I got none.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Perhaps the taller knobs hold the casing farther away from the ground and therefore farther away from punctures. After about 1000 miles, my Mountain Kings are starting to look like Race Kings!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Road my new Mountain King Supersonic 2.2 tires today and LOVE them.

They are so much lighter and run much faster than the nevegals they replaced. Traction wise they seem to have better cornering grip then the nevegal sticky but have slightly less strait ahead traction over wet rocks and roots (ran them at about 28/32 psi). These RK's run really narrow- more like a 2.0 and should make a good early season NW Mudder race tire. Personally I like a narrow tire to cut through the mud.

My favorite summer tire was the IRC Mibro for marathon- these MK's seem to roll as fast as these with much better traction and a little less weight.

Anyhow I got a deal I could not pass up on these- I had walked into the LBS to order some 2.2 RK's but walked out with a great deal on the mountain king SS's that were in stock and RK SS 2.2's on order.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I don't know your trails

but I have a ton of desert miles on a MKSS and overall it's been a good tire; it rolls well, likes soft dirt and my 2.4 weighed 503g new. On the other hand it made this weight by being a little undersized, especially the casing, and has a very thin coating of rubber over the coards between the lugs (coards can be seen within weeks of buying it) no cuts through yet. and while we don't get much mud around here this tire dosn't grip well on rocks with a coating of talc like dust. I much prefer Schwalbes Nobby Nic 2.4 and suffer through the added 100g to use them.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.