Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else think it would be a fun idea to have a race in forest park, see if we could get use of some of the off limit trails like wildwood for the race? an XC race, or? There are tons of nice looking trails there, many of which don't have many hikers using them and I am sure lots of mt. bikers would love to ride them. It would just be nice to have a annual occasion where mt. bikers own forest park.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Okay, here goes...

No offense, but is this a serious post? I would love to ride the singletrack in FP but don't because I realize it would set back all the hard work done by people to get legal singletrack in FP.
Now, if you are talking about some sort of huge, organized group ride in order to protest and bring attention to the city of Portland's ass-backwards attitude on the topic I might feel differently. Perhaps Sam Adams might take notice after he is in office. Portland's rep as a bike town is somewhat overrated due to its complete lack of singletrack despite having more than enough space to build it. With high gas prices and concerns about auto emissions on the environment it is an f-ing joke that we don't have legal singletrack here. Also, how much money do hikers pump into NW PDX after a day of tree watching in FP?
Call me an idiot, call me an optimist, but I think there will be a day when there is legal ST in FP that is built and maintained by mountain bikers.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice Rant, i totally agree, Portland is a joke of a bike city! hopefully things will change soon.
I was thinking more along the lines of working with friends of forest park and the city to have a dedicated legal weekend or week or even better certain days of the week where anything in forest park is fair game for biking. There are some trails in Salt lake city for example that allow bikers certain days of the week, other days are for hikers. I think we could get some sort of compromise? Or it would be even better if we could cut bike dedicated trails in the area. We need something!
It's crap that i have to drive 30+ min out of town to do any real mt. biking, and what a bonus that i get to burn more oil and pollute trying to do something that is essentially green.

·
endoguy
63 Posts
I agree

I came here from San Diego in '96. One of the first thing I heard from folks when they found out I was moving here was that the riding should be great as it is so green. They could not be farther from the truth. There is essentially no quality single track in PDX. I have to drive at out of town about an hour to get to decent single track. It is a complete paradox that I have to drive an hour out of town to ride an non-polluting MTB. I've always felt the hiking trails in forest park should be open at least during the week days from sunrise to sunset during dry weather conditions only. I know of no one who wants to crash into a hiker/trail runner. The riders I know all use proper trail etiquette around pedestrians, horse riders, and the like. It is time to make a change and recognize we too are tax paying citizens with rights to use our recreational lands responsibly!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
IMO trails like Wildwood will never be opened to bikes. People simply don't want to share the trails. Groups like Friends of Forest Park are primarily comprised of people who do not ride mtb's and hide behind 'erosion concerns' or 'wildlife impact' as legitimate sounding reasons why mtb's should not be allowed on ST in FP. (don't get me wrong, if these are legitimate concerns, they need to be addressed before building a new trail). From my perspective they just don't want to share, although I guess I can understand concerns about 'user conflict' as there are still some knobs who don't yield to hikers.
With all the acreage in FP it is absurd that the city does not go out of their way to allow a singletrack trail to be built by, and for, mountain bikers. Look at Falls City, Post Canyon, and the incredible trail system on the westside of Bend. When you build it, they will come. And they will also maintain it, respect it, etc.
If I win the lotto I will sue the city, demanding equal access to public trails. I am being discriminated against the oppressive majority and am sick of the constant hate crimes committed against mountain bikers!

I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Forgot to mention I agree with your idea of how things work in SLC with different trails on different days, but I am sure there are those that don't... You are right. We do need something.

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Funny thing is....

the majority of the other users in the park spend all of their time on Leif Erickson and the other roads.....:madman:

The dog walkers and running groups always have the angry looks on their faces as they take up the entire road as I fly by. Maybe we can use reverse psychology to have them petition to remove us from Leif and onto the "places where bikes belong!" ST!!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Funny story: Years ago I was working a SOLVE cleanup in Forest Park, flying the flag for PUMP. We’d spent the morning hauling tires and garbage out of Germantown canyon and stopped for a short break at the Wildwood trailhead. There, in the middle of the TH parking lot, some runners from the ORRC were setting up a turnaround sign-in table for a race they were running on the Wildwood trail.

So I’m standing there with “the” high mucky-muck of the Park, who shall go unnamed here as he’s a good guy, and I ask these runners, “Did you guys get a permit for this event?” Much hemming and hawing ensued and it was revealed that no, they had not applied for one. I submitted a “wtf?” and his mucky-muckedness responded with a roll of the eyes. We went back to busting ass hauling garbage and the ORRC went on with their little off-road running event. How nice for them.

I’ve always wondered what would happen if bikers did that?

·
mudnthebloodnthebeer
585 Posts
willymcd said:
anyone night ride the FP single track?
Already looking forward to the dry, cool & early evenings of Poachtember and Poachtober. There is zero reason not to night ride the trails as long as basic precautions to avoid damaging the tread are taken.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Snake Muesl said:
As far as I'm concerned, Firelane "W" is open from sunset to sunrise during dry weather.
I always agree with Snake.Just spent forty dollars to drive to Parkdale so that I could I enjoy "my" wilderness experience.Twenty years later and I have never driven up Thurman to block someone's driveway so I could "jog" on the wrong side of the road...with my dog off leash.Greetings from Kona...time to ride.:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.