Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to take my SS out today for a quick spin. Actually for a recovery ride...

About a half mile away from my house I started up a slight incline and something didn't feel right. My right crank arm felt like it was bent.

That's odd I thought. Could it be the pedal? Could my cleat have loosened up on my shoe??

Upon closer inspection...this is what I found:

:eek:

Oh well... The cranks have worked well for several years.

Looks like it's time for a set of ENO's... :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
That does happen on high mileage cranks.

I remember on a road ride hearing someone crash just behind me. I stopped and my buddy Larry was laying in the road with the pedal still attached to his left shoe. His Campy Record crankarm had broken completely through right at the pedal. He estimated he had 100k miles on that crankset.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Econoline said:
That does happen on high mileage cranks.
thanks. that's good to know...and i'll definitely pay more attention to my cranks once the mileage starts to get up there. i know that i have thousands of miles on this crank set.

(still a big fan of race face products too. :thumbsup: )

i'm really glad that i didn't experience an "instant failure" while cranking up a steep hill!

·
Registered
124 Posts
oh

Yes, great trophy indeed. I didn't see this the first time, but like the luvs too. Mine are coming in Feb., and going on my IF SS. I got the 28 inchers. Can't wait. Keep that shark grey and stars dude. Will look great with a set of chrome or black WI enos, and a phil bb. ;)

·
Pedal smarter, not harder
46 Posts
Lifetime warranty

I know how you feel. I broke my drive side Turbine LP after running it for 9 years. I sent it into Raceface, and they sent me a pair of deus x-type with bb. cuase they didn't have anymore GOLD square taper cranks.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fatigue happens! 3 times greater chance of failure at the hole. Sorry to see it die, but glad to hear you found it before it snapped on you in mid-pedalstroke!

I've semi-retired an old Kooka Crank of mine for fear of that eventually happening. It' on an intown commuter and perhaps just needs to be pulled out of service - but it's red ano and I've had it 10 years....kind of hard to just set it aside.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Sasquach?

How freekin tall are you? that frame is Ginormus:D ! I've broken 4 or 5 frames but I've never even seen a crank break. I've seen an old XT bend but not break.
It would suck to be out of the saddle cranking hard and have it go, a buddy had that happen with a carbon bar and witnesses said it looked like someone hipthrew him to the ground.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
slowrider said:
How freekin tall are you? that frame is Ginormus:D !
6' 4" w/36" inseam... :D

themanmonkey said:
One of my general rules for aluminum cranks is for off-road riding after 10,000 miles you're on borrowed time. For non-raced road cranks 25,000 miles.
thanks - i'll use that rule w/my mileage logs...

CB2 said:
If you replace them with another set of Turbines, put bolts in the granny ring holes or your new crank might end up like this...
:eekster:

wow - i may have gotten lucky there...as i've never put bolts in the granny ring holes.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
CB2 said:
If you replace them with another set of Turbines, put bolts in the granny ring holes or your new crank might end up like this:
I think we've (not you and me) have had this argument before. I can't see how putting bolts in the granny holes would strengthen those or any other similar cranks. BTW I have a set of 180 Turbines and also like them a lot.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
I'd love to think it was my crank smashing quads that tore the cranks apart, but I'm more of a realist.
I'm not an engineer, and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but the alloy is awfully thin on either side of the bolt holes, so it seems to me having the bolt holes filled would indeed strengthen it, and help transfer the stresses the crank is seeing across the spider.
I too love Turbines, and was pleasantly surprised when the crank fairy (my friend Al) left a set of 175's on my back porch to replace the busted ones. So whether it is really helping or just a perceived sense of security, I'm running bolts in the 58 BCD holes.

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
cbetony said:
I know how you feel. I broke my drive side Turbine LP after running it for 9 years. I sent it into Raceface, and they sent me a pair of deus x-type with bb. cuase they didn't have anymore GOLD square taper cranks.
i thought there was only a 10 year warranty on these cranks. i was just thinking the other day that i've had mine for about 10 years and was hoping nothing goes wrong with them now. :p

·
Registered
483 Posts
yikes. good that it was so close to your house. possible the pedal wasn't tightened properly? or maybe just a weakness where the pedals bolt on.

i like those cranks. have black ones of my main SS rides.

·
wants a taco
498 Posts
+1 on the warranty. We have had a customer with a set of turbines break like yours and he called raceface, they told him to bring the cranks to a bike shop, we talked to them, got an RA and within about a week he had a brand new set of deus x-type cranks and BB that easy.

Do yourself a favor and get them warrantied. Even if you want the eno cranks, sell the new deus cranks to fund it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.