Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
was just talking about this last week with friends who ordered a stem/bar combo.

How often do you see the cranksets on the trails? I see bar/seatpost, sometimes a stem. Nothing else, and other than the wide bars, I never really see people running their parts.

But yeah, it definitely sucks.

·
ventanakaz
294 Posts
i just lefted the DH/FR forum where they are talking about it. yah it really sucks i liked there products...ralph

·
ventanakaz
294 Posts
redmr2_man said:
was just talking about this last week with friends who ordered a stem/bar combo.

How often do you see the cranksets on the trails? I see bar/seatpost, sometimes a stem. Nothing else, and other than the wide bars, I never really see people running their parts.

But yeah, it definitely sucks.
...hey i run their crankset. the atlas FR with bashguard works great...ralph

·
Registered
238 Posts
4 x bar+stem+seat post, 3 cranksets, plus 2 stems in boxes. Guess I was the only one buying their stuff. Never had any reason to complain. Really sucks as they were one of the few "independents". The name is probably going to get bought and whored out like Synchros.

Time to look for closeouts...

C>

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run an atlas stem + cranks on my butcher and was going to buy atlas FR bars for my scythe. I see their cranks/bars/stems on quite a few DH+FR rigs. I wonder if it was poor business practices or the recession that did them in.

·
MarkyMark
1,352 Posts
This is terrible! :mad: I outfitted by bikes with RF because it was high quality and I could depend on it.

- 4xLow Riser Bar (3 x Au, 1x Carbon)
- 4x Stems (OS Deus just last week)
- 2x Posts
- Old Turbine cranks

I was eyeballing the '10 crankset with gold highlights. I'll probably pick that up along with a spare and a bunch of rings.

·
padded
705 Posts
This sucks, what is it with this week? :mad: I've been running RF components on my mtn bikes for over 10 yrs, even still have a 1st gen Next LP crankset on my commuter bike. The Atlas cranks I have on the Nomad are awesome, and I had been planning to get a new bar-stem combo and seat post.
I think the problem was that they diversified their product line too much and tried to compete in categories where they were at a price and brand disadvantage. It's a lesson for small companies that look to branch out too far and end up raising their costs while playing in someone else's home field - are you listening, Santa Cruz?
Will look for closeouts, but with very mixed emotions since I'd have bought them anyway at full price.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
That is really really too bad indeed. Their stems are great, and not expensive like thompson.

May be one of the smaller brands should buy them and use their product as OME parts for their bikes.

May be Santa Cruz should buy them rather than buy Swobo.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I run their cranks, and was planning on outfitting my next bike (next year) with their cranks and bars. I've also used their stem, and chainrings, all excellent stuff.

·
Registered
922 Posts
DrWheels said:
..I've been running RF components on my mtn bikes for over 10 yrs, even still have a 1st gen Next LP crankset on my commuter bike. ..
Yup...me 2. I still have my 1st gen square taper standard LP's, which I pulled out of the parts bin about 6 months ago (after not using for probably 5-6 yrs) to run on my Titus RX29er with a Phil Wood Ti BB. Whole set up is lighter than XTR M970 set-up.

My old ISIS RF LP's are on my Salsa CX bike.

Didn't really have any of the newer RF offerings. Sad to see them go.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Noooooooo!!!!!

Haus Boss said:
Just saw on Pinkbike RF is closing their doors after 18 years of business. Sad day indeed, maybe I should get a pair of atlas bars before they're all gone.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Race-Face-Closes-the-Doors.html
Too bad. I always liked their stuff. I just bought one of their 110mm Dues stem, chromed. Prolly going to get a 100mm one for the other bike that has a top tube just a tad too long.

Still looking for a set of Turbines, 180mm 5 arm compact in silver.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jetdog9 said:
Ride XC cranks on my singlespeed. Well, there goes and old name, unless the rights for it get bought up by another company...
Sounds like that may be the case. I was talking to someone today (who works for one of the biggest local bike shops on the west coast) that said they laid off 90% of their workforce, but kept on the other 10%. Potentially sounds like a buyout- all rumors at this time though.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Haus Boss said:
Just saw on Pinkbike RF is closing their doors after 18 years of business. Sad day indeed, maybe I should get a pair of atlas bars before they're all gone.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Race-Face-Closes-the-Doors.html
Clicked on that pinkbike link and the first picture that comes up is a helicopter with a Race Face logo on it...that tells you a lot right there even if they didn't 100% own it.

·
tastes like chicken
469 Posts
This is really sad. As a former Canadian, I used to ride on and promote their stuff wherever I went because I loved the design, engineering and strength. When I was active with Team Wrong Way I worked with RF for sponsor fulfillment. They were extremely generous.

I stopped buying RF from 2003-2010 because I wanted to support Western US products. Lars convinced me last year to equip RF parts on my HD and I've been really happy with the stem and the super sexy SIXC cranks.

The end of an era.... So sad. I'm going to covet my Race Face faux Iron Maiden tour shirt for the end of time....

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,610 Posts
I’m a bit bummed out by this sad news. I have been mostly unable to break their drivetrain components, whereas I have been having bad luck going through other brands left and right. Time to STOCKPILE, methinks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.