Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
My cup runneth over
2,413 Posts
I am having the same problem with my Chesters too. I have been trying to find a supplier that can sell me the bearing as I have felt a little notchiness in them when I have taken them apart and serviced them - Raceface wants you to spend $25 on a complete re-build kit and doesn't offer just the bearings. Anyone had any success finding replacement bearings?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I checked my pedals last night. Didn't have time to pull them apart, but just wanted to check them.

Like I said in a previous post, my bike has a creak when I'm in the saddle pedaling and/or when I'm standing and the pedals get weighted heavy (think landing or preloading a jump). The creak always happens when the pedals are weighted. I've cleaned and greased the rear linkage, seat post/saddle rails, headset, the pedal/spindle interface (ebike, so there's no BB to service), and the rear derailleur clutch. The creak is still there. It sounds like it's coming from the lower shock mount area, but sometimes it's hard to tell.

Anyways, I checked them out last night. Both pedals spin smoothly, and there is no play in them. However, I did notice a bit of dirty grease oozing out of the right pedal between the body of the pedal and the seal on the spindle near the crank threads. Wonder if that seal went bad and the spindle is dry....

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I think those use an inboard bushing right? Bushings develop play easily. Even barely noticeable amount of play can create noise. If a little grease on the axle doesn't shut it up it's probably not the pedals. If you have RF cinch cranks those DM rings are prone to creaking. I have to pull my cranks and re grease the ring interface after around 4 months, or just hose down the interface with a penetrating lube to shut it up for a while. Iv'e been fooled into thinking my PF bb was creaking when it was the DM ring every time. My DMR vaults get noisy when the in board bushing wears too. I can't say I've ever been happy with bushings anywhere on a bike other than a front shock eyelet.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts