Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have creaking race face Chester pedals? I’m on my 2nd pair and I’ve taken them apart and greased them up. Super annoying. What flats do you guys use?

·
GONE
25,877 Posts
I have this issue with any and every brand of pedal. Some last longer than others but all of them start to creaking before they should, IME.

Try washing them off with soap and water (on the bike). Dust/dirt can play a part of the noise.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appericiate the replies. Yea I’ve taken them apart,cleaned and regreased everything including the threads on the pedals. I like the pedals because they are super grippy,but damn when I climb it’s almost embarrassing. Maybe I’ll just try another brand

·
Registered
34 Posts
Appericiate the replies. Yea I’ve taken them apart,cleaned and regreased everything including the threads on the pedals. I like the pedals because they are super grippy,but damn when I climb it’s almost embarrassing. Maybe I’ll just try another brand
if you regreased and it still creaks, doubt its pedals. Could be something else. Its very difficult to pinpoint where creaks are coming from. At different times I had creaky: chainring bolts, seatpost, seat rails, pedal, chain, derailleur pivots, jockey. And every single time it was very difficult to track down, and noise was transmitted around and seemed to emanate from pedals.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
if you regreased and it still creaks, doubt its pedals. Could be something else. Its very difficult to pinpoint where creaks are coming from. At different times I had creaky: chainring bolts, seatpost, seat rails, pedal, chain, derailleur pivots, jockey. And every single time it was very difficult to track down, and noise was transmitted around and seemed to emanate from pedals.
This... and add the BB to the list of suspect components. In my experience, with few exceptions, a BB was the culprit.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've been chasing a creak on my bike recently, and I think I've cleaned and greased everything except my RF Chester pedals.

For some reason, it never occurred to me that it might be the pedals that are creaking. Looks like the pedals are my next option.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,222 Posts
This... and add the BB to the list of suspect components. In my experience, with few exceptions, a BB was the culprit.
BB IME isn't nearly often the culprit as much as things like chain ring or seat post. ;)

But, I mean.. it's not difficult to disassemble, clean, lube, and reinstall everything.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,606 Posts
Glad I opted for Time ATAC clipless. Three sets of pedals in 21 years of riding. All still work flawlessly without any squeaks or creaks. I guess the flat pedal hit with gusto and all the companies just started turning out cheap ones in mass quantity to make a dime. 👀Yes I said it. Aiming for a different market, the ones that watch endless YouTube videos of riders that rock it and they dream of riding that way.

Time pedals are top notch quality pedals. But then again they’re not less complicated [to design and manufacture] as flats, go figure. 🤣

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,222 Posts
Glad I opted for Time ATAC clipless. Three sets of pedals in 21 years of riding. All still work flawlessly without any squeaks or creaks. I guess the flat pedal hit with gusto and all the companies just started turning out cheap ones in mass quantity to make a dime. 👀Yes I said it. Aiming for a different market, the ones that watch endless YouTube videos of riders that rock it and they dream of riding that way.

Time pedals are top notch quality pedals. But then again they’re not less complicated [to design and manufacture] as flats, go figure. 🤣
Clipless pedals are not flats.

·
39,606 Posts
Clipless pedals are not flats.
No sh*t! 🙈🤣
Where did I say they were?

My comparison was that clipless designs are more complicated to make than flats. Yet I’ve never had a Time ATAC pedal squeak in 21 years of using them. Nor have I ever heard of anyone complaining of Shimano clipless pedals squeaking. Seems there’s people always complaining of their flat pedals squeaking. Which tells me most are cheaply made and to turn a fast profit.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
BB IME isn't nearly often the culprit as much as things like chain ring or seat post. ;)
Yeah, it's been otherwise for me for whatever reason. In 40+ years of dirt riding, I can't remember (doesn't mean it didn't happen) having a noisy chainring or seat post. But I've always white lubed seat posts, mainly for anti seizing. Have never done anything special to chainrings though. Saddles rails, noisy on occasion. Headsets, creaky a few times. But the BB... man, there were times cranking along sounding like an old rockling chair :) But honestly, usually, when I've had a noisy BB, it was just time to replace it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
No sh*t! 🙈🤣

My comparison was that clipless designs are more complicated to make than flats. Yet I’ve never had a Time ATAC pedal squeak in 21 years of using them. Nor have I ever heard of anyone complaining of Shimano clipless pedals squeaking. Seems there’s people always complaining of their flat pedals squeaking. Which tells me most are cheaply made and to turn a fast profit.
When a pair of RF Chester pedals cost $50, you don't really expect them to be made to the same standard as a pair of high end, CNC'd aluminum pedals that cost $250.
The flats in the OP are what they are. I run the same pedals and they work just fine. Maybe they're creaky, maybe not. IF they are, a rebuild kit (bearings, o-rings, and bushings) costs less than $30 if it's needed.

There is an option for high end flats that will probably last damn near a lifetime without any trouble. Some folks, like me, prefer to buy cheaper pedals since there is a high chance they're going to get bashed pretty quickly. No need, IMO, to buy high end, shiny, expensive pedals and/or cranks when they're going to look hammered and scratched after a few rides.

As far as making pedals cheap to turn a fast profit goes, that's the goal for most businesses. RF offers cheap and high end pedal options, all likely made as cheaply as they possibly can be for the price point with the goal of turning a profit. I'd imagine the same can be said for your Time pedals and shimano pedals as well.

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
No sh*t! 🙈🤣

Or the problem was misdiagnosed. IME that's the case more often than not.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Sounds like it's a different component causing the issue. FYI, I've had better luck using anti-seize instead of grease on pedal threads. Not sure why but anti-seize seems less prone to creaking in that application.

·
39,606 Posts
When a pair of RF Chester pedals cost $50, you don't really expect them to be made to the same standard as a pair of high end, CNC'd aluminum pedals that cost $250.
The flats in the OP are what they are. I run the same pedals and they work just fine. Maybe they're creaky, maybe not. IF they are, a rebuild kit (bearings, o-rings, and bushings) costs less than $30 if it's needed.

There is an option for high end flats that will probably last damn near a lifetime without any trouble. Some folks, like me, prefer to buy cheaper pedals since there is a high chance they're going to get bashed pretty quickly. No need, IMO, to buy high end, shiny, expensive pedals and/or cranks when they're going to look hammered and scratched after a few rides.

As far as making pedals cheap to turn a fast profit goes, that's the goal for most businesses. RF offers cheap and high end pedal options, all likely made as cheaply as they possibly can be for the price point with the goal of turning a profit. I'd imagine the same can be said for your Time pedals and shimano pedals as well.
Good points, I guess I never realized how cheap most flats are. And that’s another thing about the quality of Time ATAC’s. I’ve bashed them endlessly for years and they keep on ticking. Sorry to take this off topic.

·
Combat Wombat
1,677 Posts
This is the first time I have heard someone complaining about flats creaking. Is this really a problem? Personally, I have considered the plastic flats like the RF Chesters and OneUp Components some of the better things to come out. For the price, they are durable and functional, giving many riders like myself a chance to try a decent sets of flats without having to spend $120+.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good points, I guess I never realized how cheap most flats are. And that’s another thing about the quality of Time ATAC’s. I’ve bashed them endlessly for years and they keep on ticking. Sorry to take this off topic.
There isn’t much to break on any pedal. IMO, they all should be pretty durable, even the cheap ones. They’re nothing but a platform, an axle, and a couple of bearings/bushings. Even most clipless pedals, while they are a bit more complicated than flats, are pretty simple devices. You really shouldn’t have issues with any pedal, and if you do it’s likely the fault of a mass produced, cheap bearing defect, which could happen with any pedal. Even the cheap Chinese Chester knockoffs work pretty well, and those sell for like $9.99.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts