Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew up the BB bearings on my X-Type Crankset :madmax: on my SS 29er and need to replace the cups. I have a couple questions:

1. Are all the external BBs interchangeable? Could I get the Diablous BB and use it on my Evolve Crankset for example?

2. What should I go with? I am big (250+) and a bit of a masher so I want something strong that will last. Go DH/FR?

·
Registered
366 Posts
my raceface bb didn't last long on a commutte bike, my XT hasn't lasted much longer... next I might try the Enduro or Hope. FSA make a extra strong BB the mega exo I think, larger bearings? not sure on its life span though

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Check your regional forum

See if anyone nearby (in your regional forum?) has the Enduro or Phil Woods external BB bearing tool (I guess I'd expect home mechanics to have it before shops, when shops would be happy enough to sell you an entire cup).

Replacement Enduro bearings are ~$15 mailorder, and are alleged to hold up better than the stock.

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anotherbrian said:
See if anyone nearby (in your regional forum?) has the Enduro or Phil Woods external BB bearing tool (I guess I'd expect home mechanics to have it before shops, when shops would be happy enough to sell you an entire cup).

Replacement Enduro bearings are ~$15 mailorder, and are alleged to hold up better than the stock.
i did hear about those, at some point i want to go with ceramics and i would probably just get the enduro ones then.

for now i am leaning towards the dh/fr race face one just based on finances.

·
Canuckistan
131 Posts
Race face bearings suck, but you should first find out why they blew. the BB is most likely not faced properly. The BB not being faced properly will cause bearings to blow more frequently.

Most any LBS can do BB facing, and its usually only $20 or so. A worthy investment to making your bearings last longer.

oh, and another vote for Enduro bearings.

·
Banned
57 Posts
coachjon said:
I blew up the BB bearings on my X-Type Crankset :madmax: on my SS 29er and need to replace the cups. I have a couple questions:

1. Are all the external BBs interchangeable? Could I get the Diablous BB and use it on my Evolve Crankset for example?

2. What should I go with? I am big (250+) and a bit of a masher so I want something strong that will last. Go DH/FR?
No. truvativ only work with their cranks, FSA has slightly larger diameter bearings and only work with their cups or enduro fork seals makes one for FSA and all others, race face bearings are crap, I was using an xt BB bearing with evolves and that wasa good setup however both my bikes have FSA afterburner mega exo cranks, try the xt BB and I think you will be pleased:) went through MANY raceface bearing and exauted all means of proper installation:madmax: they are crap.A big guy like you would be better of with an all mountain crank from shimano or FSA/

·
Registered
4 Posts
My experience and the amount of reading I've done about Race Face BBs is that they far from the best.
And my LBS tells everyone to stay away from Race Face BBs.

I've just ordered myself the Race Face Next XC carbon crankset - when it arrives the supplied BB will straight into the bin. I'll be using a Hope ceramic BB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.