Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have made a $120 mistake. I installed my RF Evolve DH cranks myself and they were great for a while. I think I lost the black plastic spacer that goes in right behind the chainrings and around the crank bolt. I now have one of the black 1mm (I think 1mm) spacers there and I can crank down my drive side arm wicked tight and there is about 1/16-1/8" play at the end of the crank arm. Here's my setup:

Drive side: E-type FD plus (1) 2.5mm white spacer and (1) 1mm black spacer

Non-DS: (2) 2.5mm white spacers

68mm BB shell.

This is what the book calls for except I think I am supposed to have a black plastic spacer in place of my little black 1mm (?) spacer.

Any advice? Just bring it to a shop and tell them to fix it? I would love to find a spacer kit and try this again but can't find one anywhere.

NOTE: The arm doesn't get progressively looser.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same issue with the evolve xc which is the exact same design, just some more machining done on it. The problem is actually the 10mm bolt on the outside of the 8mm bolt. The 10mm is what the 8mm backs up against for removal and when it is loose, it allows a certain amount of play, which can cause minor damage to the spindle.

Wind the 8mm out a bit then crank down the 10mm (which is threaded backwards) to 40Nm (pretty darn tight) then crank down the 8mm again, and that should fix your problem. If it continues to happen, I would get them warrantied by raceface.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another note, it will not get progressively looser because as you will find when you undo the 8mm bolt, it is still as tight as when you put it on in the first place, the 10mm bolt being loose just lets "play" happen though no fear of the crank arm falling off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is anyone still running this crank besides me:)
After replacing the BB last fall, now my RF Evolve crank loosens up on the drive side. I stop and tighten the 8mm inside and it will be fine for a few miles, then loose again. I have tightened both the 8mm and the 10mm at home but don`t carry a 10mm on the road. Is it possible the BB is not settled in yet, or am I not using the right sequence to adjust? This is old enough I`m having trouble getting good instructions. Any advice?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.