Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The self puller cap on my cranks has been rendered completely useless. And, in an attempt to correct the problem, I only made it worse. Is there any other tool, or way to remove the right side crank without the previously mentioned self puller cap? I checked their web site, but they assume it wasn't me who was working on the bike:D
Thanks

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
KAH said:
The self puller cap on my cranks has been rendered completely useless. And, in an attempt to correct the problem, I only made it worse. Is there any other tool, or way to remove the right side crank without the previously mentioned self puller cap? I checked their web site, but they assume it wasn't me who was working on the bike:D
Thanks
How have you rendered the self puller bolt useless? The 10mm allen is only a cap. There is an 8mm that is the actual self puller. Have you stripped the head on the 8mm? If so, you can probably take it into a shop where they may try to hammer a larger allen key into the bolt and hope that grabs enough to take the drive side arm off.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I can confirm that you don't need to touch the 10mm to pull the cranks off - all you need is an 8mm hex key & some strength. I pulled mine off just this weekend to put some more grease into the bearings, and seems like it would be pretty hard to round off the 8mm hole unless you used hammer blows or something to try & get it undone??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.