Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1pt21Gigawatts
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am installing the raceface deuc crankset on my new racerx frame...

i noticed that while spinning the cranks by hand there is a weird grinding noise coming from them...it sounds like it would be dirty bearings, but its brand new.
Is this common on new sets while the grease in the bearings works its way around or is this a known issue with the RaceFaces?

I have tried a couple different setup options with all those spacers, but none of that solved it.

any thoughts before i go back to store i got it from?

thanks!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Only time I've noticed a bit of "grit" was if I got turn on the crank shaft or something while installing. If this is a completely new install...it should be silent. But since more recently, when installing, it's been on a pretty dirty bike, there's been a bit of grind. This grind is very minor, so if it's a major hindrance on the spinning of the cranks, you might have a problem. Something to check is the width of your BB, make sure it's to "spec." The RF directions are pretty explicit on that. You need calipers to measure to the 1/10 mm.

·
1pt21Gigawatts
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i measured a 73mm bracket shell on the frame.
It listed 1 of the spacers on the drive side
One part i am confused on is the spacing for the chain length, but i tried with & without the spacer with the same result...
i will contact the store

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.