Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

race face crank coming loose.

11K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  gzank6 
Is ISIS or X-type, not both

<sL4yEr>RuLz said:
Yes, it's the prodigy x-type with Isis BB. Looking at the PDF shows me that the spacer goes on before drive crank, when I was putting it on after.
Is either ISIS or X-type, can't be both.

ISIS the bearings are inside the BB shell, X-type the bearings are outside the BB shell. If it is an X-type the spindle is permanently attached to the non-drive side arm. If you have crank bolts on BOTH sides is an ISIS bb, if you have just one bolt (on the drive side) is an X-type. Hope it helps to clear it.

If it is an X-type, the loose washer you talk about below goes with/refers to the self-extracting bolt. Me thinks.

If you are using a ISIS bb then that PDF won't help you at all. If it is indeed an X-type, try the parktools.com site for additional info.

<sL4yEr>RuLz said:
now I'm thoroughly confused. I'll inspect tonight. I do know for a fact that it's an ISIS BB, with 2 crank bolts, one on each side. I'm guessing that I need to get my hands on a torque wrench and fix it proper.

Edit, bike's an '02 RM Slayer, cranks and BB are the original.
Then FORGET about anything and everything you saw on the Evolve XC X-type PDF. It has nothing to do with your cranks, you have an ISIS bb not a X-type, external bearing BB. The spacer or washer, most probably goes behind the crank bolt as you guessed. I would suggest you try parktools.com for instructions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.