Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Shimano drivetrain and Easton cockpit. Going bust is a pretty hard lesson to learn. That's what happens when you turn your back on your distributor and every LBS in Canada, (that helped make Raceface who they are), by under cutting them and selling to MEC for less.

·
Registered
525 Posts
More to the point... Who would you LIKE so see replace them?

-Easton (duh)
-Ritchey
-FSA
-Syncros
-Truvativ
-Answer
-Chromag
-RMB
-Funn
-Crank Bros
-Syntace

Who am I forgetting? (and none of this "Schmolke!" crap. We make 30 level bikes too....)

·
Subject to Whimsy
404 Posts
Saddle Up said:
Shimano drivetrain and Easton cockpit. Going bust is a pretty hard lesson to learn. That's what happens when you turn your back on your distributor and every LBS in Canada, (that helped make Raceface who they are), by under cutting them and selling to MEC for less.
MEC sells a lot of other name products too (Sidi, Crank Bros come to mind) what makes them different?
Apparently we'll get an answer Monday when RF issues a press release.

Personally I would like to see them picked up by someone else (Rocky? Talk about full circle!) and the name and products continue on. I never had any real issues with their stuff quality-wise and have been loving my SixC cranks for a year now.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Syncros would be nifty for the nostalgia factor, and some of their new stuff looks pretty cool, but they've been really slow to bring their products to market, which is maybe a bit worrisome.

I think I'd rather see ENVE for super tweaky cockpit spec than Crank Bros. Some of the new CB cockpit pieces look a bit risky, like the stems.

Ritchey makes some nice stems and bars but the seatposts aren't quite as spiffy.

·
aka Taprider
969 Posts
what ever is Canadian
syncros is not anymore, but still is ok because of tradition
maybe straightline?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Chromag to keep the Canadian theme going on the DH/AM bikes. Their stems and bars are very nice.

Easton stuff is great, especially their new Haven line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RMB-PM said:
More to the point... Who would you LIKE so see replace them?

-Easton (duh)
-Ritchey
-FSA
-Syncros
-Truvativ
-Answer
-Chromag
-RMB
-Funn
-Crank Bros
-Syntace

Who am I forgetting? (and none of this "Schmolke!" crap. We make 30 level bikes too....)
Definitely Chromag bar and stems on the DH/FR bikes. that would be awesome!

·
Registered
57 Posts
DAM!!! Another good Canadian company going bye-bye. We're all hoping somebody picks up the pieces and continue on. I could see RF going to some distributor that would transfer to Taiwan or China for production in order to make parts at a lesser cost. Just like Ritaway (former owners of GT and Schiwin), then Ritchey when they got Syncros from their bankruptcy. Let it stay in Canadian hands and on soil if it gets a reprieve or fade away with dignity.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RF has been making many pieces in Asia already, but it's quite likely that everything else will head that way, including their new carbon crank process. There's always a chance some Asian based company will buy them for that carbon process and move all the CNC work to Asia.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I like the idea of rocky steping up and taking there processes and keeping the name and logo!!

Deffenitly Chromag for trail/AM/Downhill They seem like they have the same values as all the guys at rocky. Easton and Ritchey for the lightweight XC crowd.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I too would like to see someone (Rocky?) take over the RF name and processes. I have a good bit of RF stuff, including some recently purchased SixC bars, and I've always been impressed with their products. I've always been drawn to check out their products first when replacing parts. It's a shame to see them go under.

In RF's place, I'd like to see Ritchey stuff on the more race oriented bikes. Their WCS range is very good with the bars being wide enough for XC-race use but, IMO, a bit too narrow (660mm max.) for trail/AM use. I agree their seatposts are not the best lookers but they are functional.
I'd like to see Chromag on the FR/DH bikes and Easton/Syntace on the Trail/AM bikes.

·
Registered
594 Posts
if true

lets see total bike industry small, mountain bike industy smaller, mountain bike parts industry smallest, best to all involved.:cryin:

·
Collector Rocky Mountain
75 Posts
I saw the news magazine to do all that in anticipation of more rocky I'll take that

·
Registered
525 Posts
Rocklandbiker said:
no Question for me, definitely SYNTACE
but EASTON would also fit
Funny, they have such a rep for light weight... But that's because most of their stuff is 25.4! The 31.8 stuff isn't that light. Their posts aren't that light. It's really just the stems.

And their bars are frickin' narrow. I like how they brag that their 600mm bars "can be trimmed down to 450mm". :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts