Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
May The Force Be With You
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to build my bike and the Race Face Cinch Bottom Bracket and Cranks are holding me up and ticking me off.. I have the; Cinch Ride Cranks and your Cinch 30 bottom bracket... what am I missing? This entire system doesn't even look like it works together. Inside bearing diameter is larger than the Axle diameter and there is play left to right. Do I need that preload thing? it looks like it won't work (too thick) (?).. guidance needed before I Return everything and go back to Shimano.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,622 Posts
trying to build my bike and the Race Face Cinch Bottom Bracket and Cranks are holding me up and ticking me off.. I have the; Cinch Ride Cranks and your Cinch 30 bottom bracket... what am I missing? This entire system doesn't even look like it works together. Inside bearing diameter is larger than the Axle diameter and there is play left to right. Do I need that preload thing? it looks like it won't work (too thick) (?).. guidance needed before I Return everything and go back to Shimano.
CINCH can refer to 2 things.

the chainring/spider interface is referred to as a CINCH chainring. That's what your Ride cranks have.

there is also a CINCH spindle interface (spindles can be changed for different widths, or even a power meter spindle). These spindles are 30mm in diameter, and your Ride cranks DO NOT have this. They use a 24mm diameter straight spindle, similar to Shimano's. RaceFace calls it their EXI spindle. The product page is pretty clear.
https://www.raceface.com/products/details/ride

Simply enough, you bought the wrong BB.

·
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CINCH can refer to 2 things.

the chainring/spider interface is referred to as a CINCH chainring. That's what your Ride cranks have.

there is also a CINCH spindle interface (spindles can be changed for different widths, or even a power meter spindle). These spindles are 30mm in diameter, and your Ride cranks DO NOT have this. They use a 24mm diameter straight spindle, similar to Shimano's. RaceFace calls it their EXI spindle. The product page is pretty clear.
https://www.raceface.com/products/details/ride

Simply enough, you bought the wrong BB.
some confusing sh*t for sure

·
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my frustration level is spiking.. any chance you could direct me to the correct Bottom bracket with 73mm thread ?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,622 Posts
some confusing sh*t for sure
just have to pay attention. same with everything else. fitting a bb to the frame. choosing a headset to fit the frame. etc. etc.

Initially, CINCH came as a package deal (chainring AND the spindle). And then RF split the package and started using the direct mount CINCH chainrings only on less expensive cranks on the Aeffect and Ride. Doesn't change that you always need to pay attention to the spindle diameter when mating a bb and a crank. Doesn't matter what the manufacturer "calls" something for its marketing language. The actual measurement is what matters.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,839 Posts
my frustration level is spiking.. any chance you could direct me to the correct Bottom bracket with 73mm thread ?
Any local bike shop near you that has a Shimano XT BB for a BSA shell?

If you're just looking for a solid BB that gets it done, any Shimano BB is good bang for your buck.

·
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds good. there's a LBS in Santa Fe I'll hit up. thank you all for your help

·
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
proof that weed being legal isn't always a good thing.
I don't do the weed dickball .. I value my security clearance far to much.. not to mention my health and not wanting to smell like something an elephant **** out

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,215 Posts
I don't do the weed dickball .. I value my security clearance far to much.. not to mention my health and not wanting to smell like something an elephant **** out
Now I'm sure you could use some weed.

·
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Redbull and horse piss is all I need

·
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
anywho, I ended up getting the correct BB and cranks. All is good now. Cambria Bike will refund me for the Cranks Because they weren't clearly advertised.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.