Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I going crazy? Has anyone else come across this issue?

Replaced an e13 bb92 with a Race Face bb92 cause thats what the lbs had on hand. Even if I remove the seals on the bb, once I tighten (not yet to spec) it is too much preload.

Are these not compatible? Can anyone else verify please?

Thank you

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Well E13 says specifically on their website that their cranks are only compatible with their BBs.
I'm so over E13. Their products continually fail on me, and other riders I know.
Never again.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It also says that their cranks may work with other bottom brackets, but might need spacers. Problem is that it seems that the spindle is too short to need seals let alone spacers. It looks like the difference between the RF bb and the e13 bb might be a total of 2mm.

I actually have had no issues with e13. I have run their cranks on my bikes with no issues, handlebars, bash guards and they have all been put through the paces and work fine.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,055 Posts
My Helix shifts frighteningly accurate and crisp. The even weirder thing is I put it on replacing an X01 10-42 and there was no adjustment necessary, it was all perfect. Really thought I'd need to adjust something, but nope.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
My Helix shifts frighteningly accurate and crisp. The even weirder thing is I put it on replacing an X01 10-42 and there was no adjustment necessary, it was all perfect. Really thought I'd need to adjust something, but nope.
Mine shifted beautifully also. Wish the 1st gear wasn't machined to save weight.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are opposites though. I have the e13 crank and rf bb. The e13 seems to be about 2mm short. You have to use spacers because the rf spindle is longer.
When I had the e13 bb I had to use one .5 spacer each side as directed.
I just can’t believe I am the first or only person to have this issue

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just ran into the same issue on my Pivot Switchblade using Enduro BB92 BB and e*Thirteen TRS cranks. The only way I could torque to spec was with zero spacers and just one bearing seal. I went so far as to sand down the APS adjuster to squeeze just that extra mm or two, but got to the point where the APS was worthless. Would it kill them to have a slightly longer spindle? I much prefer the way Shimano gives me adjustability on frame width and Q Factor.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
Any of y'all put calipers on your bb shell? You might be able to gain the space you need by facing your bb shell so the shorter spindle of the e.13 crank works with more bottom brackets. but whether I'd do that would depend on how wide my bb shell was. wouldn't want to face it so much that it winds up narrower than spec and then becomes a problem for other cranks.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
areeves, sorry you are having this issue as well, but good to know now that the Enduro kit doesn't work either. I just had to 2 day express a e13 bb so I can have it in time for a big race this weekend. I might have to miss a weekly race this Wed or put the old bb back in. They look like they are in ok shape, but who knows how much I messed the inner race up.

Also I have had just as many if not more issues with Shimano cranks. Couldn't get the new SLX or XT to play nice with a 73 BSA and proper chainline because they do it all with spindle length and no options for chainrings changing chainline. So I would say actually a worse system than CINCH or equivalent.

Harold, my shell was either 91.5 or 92.5 I can't remember, but I would rather not face the shell vs just buying a bb that works

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
Harold, my shell was either 91.5 or 92.5 I can't remember, but I would rather not face the shell vs just buying a bb that works
I'm mostly curious if the bb shell of the frame was within spec or not. Lots are a little out of spec, but 91.5mm is the ideal spec for BB92. As I said, I wouldn't want to go out of spec. But if you measured it at 92.5mm, then that's much wider than spec and I'd face it to bring it to spec, and would also help with your issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.