Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Recreational Racer
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Race Face X type BB seized on the non-drive side and shredded the plastic spacer. Is there an external BB that does not have the plastic shim? As far as I know Race Face and Shimano both have the plastic shim. I would like to avoid the same failure in the future. I guess this is going to be a two parter. Next question: is there a simple way to pull out and press in new bearings with out spending the the money for the bearing press on the Enduroforkseals website.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
There's a Sticky thread at the top of the forum for servicing bearings in BB cups. No use to you know, but it's there for furture reference. There's another one, I think, somewhere in the Drivetrain forum which deals with removing the bearings. Have a search...

What is this shim? Shimano cups have a rubber seal built into them, but no extra shims.

As far as replacing with something more durable; I've been running Hope BBs for two seasons without any observable deterioration. They run on good quality sealed cartridge bearings.

I'd also recommend having the BB shell of your frame faced to make sure that the two cups are resting parallel. The external bearing system seems particularly sensitive to any unevenness.

·
Recreational Racer
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shim is the plastic spacers that are found on Shimano and Race Face BBs. If you are familiar with the bearing servicing sticky its the piece that rest between the bearings and the spindle that we a warned not to break. When my bearing seized it shredded that spacer. I think I'm going to go with a BB from Real World Cycling. They are fully serviceable and sell replacement seals and bearings if needed. I just can't justify spending the money for their nifty bearing press, at this time. I'll keep my old bb and when a do find a reason to buy the bearing tool I'll be able to build me up a spare BB for the parts bin. Thanks for the suggestion, the Hopes look like a good product and a tempting alternative.

·
Recreational Racer
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scary and not something I'd do to my aluminum foil Anthem but sounds efective. I deciced to just order the BB from Real World Cycling. The Hope's looked nice but I like the two seal concept. Once I get my new BB I'll monkey around with the old one and get creative and see if I can get thebearings out with out a hammer. Thanks for the input everybody.

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
Scary and not something I'd do to my aluminum foil Anthem
It's not something your doing to your bike per say. He was only saying leave the BB in place so it can be held firmly. I took my cups out and then removed the bearings. Either way, the same thing is accomplished without risking anything on your bike.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.