Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the aluminum vs the steel narrowwide chainring for a 1x11 drivetrain. Considering the 32T.

The aluminum is significantly lighter (by like 100 plus grams) but costs more and probably isn't as durable.

For those that have used the aluminum rings, how long did they last for you?

I tend to change my chains right at 0.5 stretch (about two chains a season) and my SRAM GX cassettes typically last two seasons. Wondering if the aluminum chainring can keep up with the cassette, wearwise.

·
Boom bap ambassador
898 Posts
I can't speak to RF but I did have a Hope NW chain ring in AL that lasted just over a year.

The ring didn't fall apart or implode to indicate it was worn but my drive train did start to skip a bit/noisy pedaling which took me a bit to work out until I swapped out the ring and bam - problem gone.

I didn't start dropping chains just noisy/a bit sloppier.

That would be riding 3-4 times a week for a year on 1x.

I'm sure steel would last longer so it would come down to the mix of cost, weight, colour choices (maybe, example I luv me some purple ano so I'm always on team AL), etc that makes sense to you and then busting a move.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Aluminum 1x SRAM ring lasted 2 chains/800 miles. With the second new chain I could feel obvious grinding in the pedals. I know others who have run into this. I replaced it with a Sram steel ring for less than 1/4 the price and 60gm weight penalty. It's been buttery smooth and quiet since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.