Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entering my first year of racing. I grew up racing motocross where most races totaled about 15 mins and have been trail riding for about a year now. I have pretty good day to day nutrition habbits but as I stated before this will be my first xc race. Im entering XC-3 and the race will be about 11 miles in length and should take a total of about an hour to complete. I realize that everyone is different and you must find something that works for you but im just looking for some examples of experienced racers pre-race or raceday layout. Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well, last year I started with a Clif bar about an hour before races, and noticed stomach issues. I moved it back to 90 minutes, and no issue.

This year I am going to try a less "dense" bar before (lower protein, etc) like a Honey Stinger and see how it works out.

Races of 60 - 90 minutes I use a diluted sports drink. Races over 2 hours I would carry a gel to take around the halfway point.

I had no set breakfast, and racing times varied so much (along with departure times) so it was hard to come up with a refined plan. I guess the best thing to do is some Saturday, eat something then go hammer for an hour and see how you feel. You will learn how your body responds, and adapt with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again... Like I said Im pretty green in this so any advice on anything racing is helpful.

What about pre race energy supplements for example right now before workouts or training in general I usually drink a redline energy drink just to get going a little. Is this a good idea for endurance racing or should I just stick with a normal sports drink?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
For important races, I follow this advice pretty scrupulously:
http://www.hammernutrition.com/hnt/1279/

For a race lasting an hour or less, it's not really necessary but I take a gel at the start line ("insurance", placebo, call it what you will). For races longer than an hour, I continue with gels at the rate of about 200 cal per hour. I use eGel so I don't supplement with electrolytes or anything, just drink water according to thirst.

I personally stay away from anything with much protein, fat, or fiber until after the race.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
xXSHOWTIMEXx said:
What about pre race energy supplements for example right now before workouts or training in general I usually drink a redline energy drink just to get going a little. Is this a good idea for endurance racing or should I just stick with a normal sports drink?
I used to drink a Red Bull before races but realized that I was plenty excited without it, and I just didn't want to mess with any possible side effects from caffeine or whatever. I drink my cup of coffee with breakfast, like I do every day.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
xXSHOWTIMEXx said:
Thanks again... Like I said Im pretty green in this so any advice on anything racing is helpful.

While Hammer Nutrition definitely has an agenda, they DO offer a decent guideline for raceday hydration/nutrition on their website free of charge. Start there perhaps.

You are correct in saying that everyone reacts differently to foods etc, but still, there are some general guidelines.

I would stay away from the "Energy Drinks", as they are laced with high amounts of sugars usually which is hard on your stomache.

Caffeine is used commonly. Some people drink coffee before a race...sometimes this can be a disaster if you know what I mean though...

Clean food, high in carbs is typically what is eaten leading up to race day...

During your race, you will not need to worry about any food at all. Your race is way too short to be packing food. Perhaps a gel, but no food... One water bottle should be sufficient for your race also. I mix carbo-pro with an electrolyte tab typically in my bottles. Hammer Heed is very common to for drinks..

·
Registered
285 Posts
I eat my normal breakfast + coffee 3-4 hours before the event, so it means for early events waking up really early, like 5-530 for a 9 am start

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
While I will (sadly) not be racing Bonelli (1st Pro XCT race of the season) on Saturday, I will be eating a healthy bowl of quick cook steel cut oats with a sliced banana, 2tbsp of NuttZo PF multi-nut butter, and 1/4c of Bear Naked Peak Protein granola. I likely would've had a banana or banana with a bit of natural/creamy almond butter about 1.5-2hrs pre-race. Since the women's race is at 10:45 I maybe would've just had a banana about an hour beforehand, with breakfast at probably 6:30 or so.

Gel shot during staging, and likely 1-2 small bottles of drink mix and/or water depending on temps. For a shorter race, one bottle would be fine.

Post-race I'd have half a serving of Ultragen recovery drink, and then some solid food hopefully within 1-2 hours (SWEET POTATOES, and either leftover meat and veggies or restaurant food depending how well I did :p).

This Saturday will be almost IDENTICAL, except for the drink mix, the race, and the Ultragen. I'll just be eating the rest of the food and cheering on others :)

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
miss rides a lot said:
While I will (sadly) not be racing Bonelli (1st Pro XCT race of the season) on Saturday, I will be eating a healthy bowl of quick cook steel cut oats with a sliced banana, 2tbsp of NuttZo PF multi-nut butter, and 1/4c of Bear Naked Peak Protein granola. I likely would've had a banana or banana with a bit of natural/creamy almond butter about 1.5-2hrs pre-race. Since the women's race is at 10:45 I maybe would've just had a banana about an hour beforehand, with breakfast at probably 6:30 or so.

Gel shot during staging, and likely 1-2 small bottles of drink mix and/or water depending on temps. For a shorter race, one bottle would be fine.

Post-race I'd have half a serving of Ultragen recovery drink, and then some solid food hopefully within 1-2 hours (SWEET POTATOES, and either leftover meat and veggies or restaurant food depending how well I did :p).

This Saturday will be almost IDENTICAL, except for the drink mix, the race, and the Ultragen. I'll just be eating the rest of the food and cheering on others :)
Not racing? Bummer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts