Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about $2K to spend on a new hardtail, which will be a significant upgrade from my current hardtail. I'm new to x-country racing, but want to get a bike with good components so I don't have to put a lot into upgrades. I'm currently considering the Jamis Dragon Pro (full XT, Fox fork, Juicy 5), but wondering if it's too heavy (25 pounds). Another option is building up a Salsa - which (presumably) would be lighter, but won't have the same level of components for what I can afford.

My current bike is 28 pounds, so I'll be 3 pounds lighter with a Jamis, but for $2k, can I do better? I appreciate your opinions or suggestions on alternatives. Thanks.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
25 lbs is not too heavy at all. Please don't let the whole weight wennie thing get to your head especially since you are new to racing. The Jamis on paper looks like a really solid bike for racing and it's really up to you to see how well it fits your body and riding characteristics. Worry less about marginal weight differences and more on mental and physical preparation to race.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Unless you are racing at ski resorts a lot, weight really doesn't matter that much.

I second the carbon XTC though.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
When you say "A Significant upgrade from my old HT", what do you mean? Do you mean that you want a better frame or just better components? Take a look at the TREK 8500 from last year or year before to see if you can find it on close out, they are excellent HT's w/ full XT group, - dual control levers, hydro discs, full drive train. I was amazed when I rode my friends and just couldn't actually believe it was a HT.

TREK 8500 online
KHS
Alite Team

Or consider going for a steal of a deal on a FS race bike.........
IH Azure Expert Full XT groupo FS Race bike for well under $2K, weight as I've heard is around 26lbs.

·
Why Me
120 Posts
Find Something That Fits

You need to find a bike that fits you well a low end bike that fits you well will preform better for you than a high end that does not fit. The Dragon is a good bike for the money, and the bike will preform well under xc conditions. But check out several bikes and get what feels good to you.:thumbsup:

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
What about a Fisher Paragon? I just picked one up and I can tell I'm a lot faster on it. Great race bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in the very same boat, but I've been racing a Cannondale Jekyll (HEAVY), and done very well. Instead of buying a new bike for 2k, I think I'm going to e-bay it, or look here and find a good used unit for the same price. Already I spotted a 06 Trek 9.9 well within my budget, but I just don't have the cash in hand. :madman:

·
Registered
639 Posts
you can find a great last years model(or even a year or two older depending on the parts pick) thats xt or better for under 2000$. the giant xtc carbon HT is a great bike, KHS has some pretty light stuff for relatively cheap that has sram xo. If you look around there are some great deals out there and you can be under 25lbs. check out bobs-bicycles.com they have some good deals right now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
A hard tail over 25lbs?

It's amazing how mountain bikes have advanced. 5 years ago a 25lb hard tail race bike at $2K would have been laughable.

Remember, at an average race you are going to spend 75% of your time going up.

My 4 inch travel Superlight weighs 23.5 lbs with 525g tires.

My Fetish D&S (hardtail) weighs 21.3 lbs with the same tires

Both of these bikes have 2002 vintage Marzocchi Marathon Forks which weigh 3.5lbs

The reason the hardtails you are looking at weigh so much is the disk brake spec. Unless you plan to race in the rain a lot check out the Fetish Cycles D&S. Last I checked they still come with Vbrake bosses. For 2K, I bet Steve at Airpark Bike in Scottsdale, AZ could get you into a bike with a great spec that would approach 21 lbs. Another option would be to buy a used HT with Vbrakes. My son had great luck on a Giant XTC.

Note, if wet weather is an issue I've noticed that Vbrake wheels with ceramic coated rims are going for about $300 on eBay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.