Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Albany West Oz
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to manage swapping between race wheels and training wheels, at the moment I'm swapping cassette over, which is a bit of a pain.

Can I run a cassette on each wheel with the same chain or cassette and chain for each?

Cheers

·
Albany West Oz
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, I am going to use a separate chain and cassette for each wheel, this is easier to swap with a quick link and hopefully wont mess with with chain rings.

Must add that training with my standard wheels, heavy tires, tubes that came with my bike and then racing on my lovely light race wheels makes race day feel great. It is no secret that wheels are the ultimate upgrade but I was still blown away by the difference.

If you are in Aus: http://www.twowheelsenterprises.com.au/

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
Better off staying with one chain to keep drivetrain wear(chain, cassettes, and chainrings) equal and predictable. As long as you replace the chain before it is stretched beyond spec, you will not have a problem.

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Keep the chain as a disposable wear item, even plan on replacing it a couple of times in the race season and keep the old ones for your off season or commuter bike, they won't have worn even to the 0.75% range so they'll have a long life on a low use bike.

I feel compelled to say that training wheels would make racing kind of difficult as they don't allow you to lean in a turn. :skep: :D

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Wheels

For the past 3 years I ran an XTR cassette on the race wheels and an XT cassette on the training wheels. When the XTR wore out, I couldn't stomach the newly jacked asking price so I've got an XT on both pairs now.

Since I run centerlock hubs with DT CL adaptors, I do use the same rotors when I swap wheels. I find I get better braking when the pads are always bedded into the rotors. I have 240's on both wheels so my cassette and rotors line up and require no adjustment. I just throw on the wheels and go.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I ran a training set that came with the bike and bought a nice set for racing. Each had there own cassettes and disks, one chain. I would run the training set when it was nasty out and when I knew I would be hitting some rough sections. When it was dry and smooth, I would run the race wheels and race day. So, over the course of the year they have very similar usage. Both cassets and disks still look great, the training wheels need trued very badly though.

I also have a nother bike i do alot of training rides on, so neither set is or the race bike is getting a ton of use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts