Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to spam the board, so I'll only post the major points here. If you want to get the full details please visit my blog. (The link is in my signature).

IMBA Canada has partnered with Citizen Pictures for the Canadian debut of "Race Across the Sky" documenting the 2009 LT100 Mountain Bike Race. Dave Wiens had won it since 2003 and managed to hold off Lance Armstrong in 2008. But in 2009 Lance finally added this race to his long list of victories.

How much will it cost? Advance tickets are now available online at www.cineplex.com/events as well as at participating theatre box offices. Admission for children ages 3 - 13 is $8.00, seniors is $10.50 and general admission is $12.50. A special group rate is also available for groups of 20 or more. For more information on group rates, call 1-800-313-4461 or email [email protected].

When and where can you see it? Cineplex Entertainment will present Race Across the Sky - Leadville Trail 100 at select theatres across the country on Wednesday, January 27th at 7 pm and Sunday, February 7th at 1 pm (local time). The Ontario list of theaters is on my blog. The entire list of theaters Canada-wide is on Dan Scott's blog here: http://imbacanada.imbatools.com/?p=445

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
excellent

thanks for bringing this to our attention. This is far from being a spam, no worries there.

I have been following this race for a few years now. There is a slim chance that my roadie group races this race this year, so seeing the movie would be a great resource in preparation for it.

jmurray said:
I don't want to spam the board, so I'll only post the major points here. If you want to get the full details please visit my blog. (The link is in my signature).

IMBA Canada has partnered with Citizen Pictures for the Canadian debut of "Race Across the Sky" documenting the 2009 LT100 Mountain Bike Race. Dave Wiens had won it since 2003 and managed to hold off Lance Armstrong in 2008. But in 2009 Lance finally added this race to his long list of victories.

How much will it cost? Advance tickets are now available online at www.cineplex.com/events as well as at participating theatre box offices. Admission for children ages 3 - 13 is $8.00, seniors is $10.50 and general admission is $12.50. A special group rate is also available for groups of 20 or more. For more information on group rates, call 1-800-313-4461 or email [email protected].

When and where can you see it? Cineplex Entertainment will present Race Across the Sky - Leadville Trail 100 at select theatres across the country on Wednesday, January 27th at 7 pm and Sunday, February 7th at 1 pm (local time). The Ontario list of theaters is on my blog. The entire list of theaters Canada-wide is on Dan Scott's blog here: http://imbacanada.imbatools.com/?p=445

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
jmurray said:

can we buy on dvd?

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
nspace said:
Awesome! I'm definitely going to go check this out.

Can't seem to buy tickets from the cineplex website for the two theaters close to me (which are listed on both blogs). Perhaps they are just not available online?
I'll be going by mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Party in Niagara Falls!

A pile of us are going to see the Jan. 27 show at the theatre in Niagara Falls.

Looks like we're going to have quite a good sized group of us and maybe even a door prize or two :)

Post up if you're interested.

Dan

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
Some friends and I drove down to Buffalo in October to watch the movie when it screened in the U.S. We were the only people in the theatre. The movie was awesome, though. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Some rider friends from work and I are going to see it in Burlington, Wed Jan 27 @ 7:00. Philthy McNasty's is a short stroll away across the parking lot for pre or apres beers....
Anybody else?

·
More than a little slow
654 Posts
I've just got my tickets for the Sunday show, downtown Toronto.
And I know where I'm going for a beer afterwards. Volo.
Oh, and tickets because I'm going to torture my wife by making her go as well.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
same here

just we will be going to Queensway location, as a whole family. I want my son and my better half to see what it takes to survive, let alone win such a grueling race like Ledville...

dskunk said:
I've just got my tickets for the Sunday show, downtown Toronto.
And I know where I'm going for a beer afterwards. Volo.
Oh, and tickets because I'm going to torture my wife by making her go as well.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Oggie, if you are going on the Wed showing, I will be going to queensway as well!

Maybe i will see you there.

My gf offered to go, she thought it looked cool. At times though its all a scam, over enthusiastic, warning signs go off in my head, and then she charges for it later. "Remember that time..." and I crumble and end up giving back rubs. I am still paying for making her endure 8 hours of trains to go watch Cyclocross in Belgium!

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
Hey, that is nice...

Let's get together for the showing, we can sit in the same row... If anyone else from here is going - please check in and we can do the "group thing"... No, not what you think, and some of you hope, it is... Just sitting together and haggling Lance...

nspace said:
Oggie, if you are going on the Wed showing, I will be going to queensway as well!

Maybe i will see you there.

My gf offered to go, she thought it looked cool. At times though its all a scam, over enthusiastic, warning signs go off in my head, and then she charges for it later. "Remember that time..." and I crumble and end up giving back rubs. I am still paying for making her endure 8 hours of trains to go watch Cyclocross in Belgium!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Seeing this tonight in Thunder Bay with a couple riding buddies, looks like it'll be a great escape from the frigid cold outside...

·
Registered
685 Posts
First review, from the Burlington premiere:

An entertaining, well filmed movie, some great scenery and pretty good story lines. Music sucked big time. I thinik the Collective would have done a much better job with it.
It was nice to see on the big screen, lots of big breathtaking shots.
Thought maybe Trek was a sponsor every Trek bike seemed to get a nice long shot in the film, but Trek didn't show up on the credits.

Certainly worth a rent or buy of the DVD, I think it's out next week.

4 stars out of 5 - best mountain biking movie of the year! (so far) (PhilShep has the best mountain biking video of the year! (so far))

Saw some of the Hamilton guys at the theatre, didn't get a chance to say hi!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Great flick. XC I think can be hard to make interesting but my girlfriend really enjoyed it, and she is a non-cyclist.

Couldn't agree more about the music. Overly dramatic score, and a few of the actual songs in there were not good. 24 Solo did a way better job with their score IMO.

Was definitely awesome to see on the big screen. Seems like an awesome race, although I never realized that you followed the same route to get back (that was kind of underwhelming to me).

It was really cool to see spectator aspect of the race. Fans all over various parts of the course. Really cool local vibe with all the people routing for Dave. Pretty damn cool!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I thought it was great too...the only downside is that non-MTBers might think that that's what mountain biking looks like...I don't think that race has any singletrack at all (although there are undoubtedly some technical challenges). There was some humour and human interest in there too (the scene of the woman coming back from serious injuries by training in front of a wall of old race plates was poignant)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts