Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, my son and I arrived at Raccoon Mtn Caverns on Sunday afternoon and were able to hit the trails at RM on Monday morning. We had a good long ride (18 miles @ 4 & 1/2 hours), with lots of stops to check out the scenic bluffs, visitors center and to figure out where we were. Going clockwise, we got lost around the Tennessee River Gorge Trail and the Megawatt Trail. We had missed the left turn and came up on the parking area along the road that goes to the picnic area, so we turned around and found the Megawatt Trail.
Here's a few images from our Monday's ride.

Well, day number 2 (Tuesday).......
We started counterclockwise from the East Overlook. We skipped the Table Rock Trail,to save our legs that were still feeling the 18 miles from yesterday.
We made up for skipping the the Table Rock Trail by riding the "one way trail".
So we rode for a total of 13.5 miles.
Does anyone know if the "one way trail" part of the race that was held a few weeks ago?
Here's a few images from Tuesday's ride, starting with the Megawatt Trail.

The "One Way Trail"

·
Very Wildery
85 Posts
Raccoon Mtn Trail signs?

Looks like you guys had a great trip. We rode Raccoon Mtn on Memorial Day, and had a great time; loved the trails, but could never figure out exactly where we were (even with a trail map). Do they have signs on the trails yet?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mpvanger said:
Looks like you guys had a great trip. We rode Raccoon Mtn on Memorial Day, and had a great time; loved the trails, but could never figure out exactly where we were (even with a trail map). Do they have signs on the trails yet?
Thanks mpvanger! Yea, we got lost a few times.
Furrner, the signs ought to help out a lot.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update

I thought I'd give an update and add to this older thread.
On Thursday morning (3/12), my son and I headed for RM. My daughter drove down from Knoxville to met us.
After getting set up at the RM Cavers Campground around noon, with rain chances getting worse and worse. We decide to go hit the trails for a late afternoon ride.
It was cloudy, windy and in the 40's.
I guess we rode about 5 miles out and then back, from the E. Lookout to Laurel Point. We had a great ride and the trails where fantastic!
We got back about 30 minutes before it would start to get dark. Several riders where arriving for their Thursday Night group ride.
Here's a few images from our ride.

We had a great but short ride, but good thing we went Thursday afternoon. Because it started raining early Friday morning and didn't stop till late Sunday morning.
But with the rain, it made our RM cave exploration tour even more fun!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SSINGA said:
Nice pics. I hope to get a chance to ride RM at least a few times this summer.
Thanks SSINGA!
Yea, we hope to make it back up there again this summer.
It's only a 4 hr drive for us.
While your there, be sure to take a cave tour at the RM Caverns.
For priceless moments like this!!
My son getting a shove from his sister to get through a tight spot.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.