Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving south tomorrow from Indiana to Florida. We would like to hit Raccoon Mtn in Chattanooga and Oak Mtn in Pelham, AL for a few days.

We've heard great reviews on both of these trail systems, but we're curious how the trail conditions are now. Is freeze thaw effecting the trails now? We don't want to do any damage to the trail. We both do alot of trail work ourselves and know how frustrating that can be to see riders oblivious to bad conditions.

I checked the SORBA/Chatt. website and no updates. Haven't checked BUMP yet, but will.

Of course we'd love to ride, but if the conditions are bad, we'll just keep driving south to Florida.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rode Raccoon Tuesday trail is in good shape but it was about 10 o clock and was thawing out and kind of slick. There are a few wet spots or slushy spots but they have been that way for a while due to all the rain we have been getting. You should be ok on Raccoon I may be going there tomorrow myself.

·
Speedbump
310 Posts
Rideon said:
Driving south tomorrow from Indiana to Florida. We would like to hit Raccoon Mtn in Chattanooga and Oak Mtn in Pelham, AL for a few days.

We've heard great reviews on both of these trail systems, but we're curious how the trail conditions are now. Is freeze thaw effecting the trails now? We don't want to do any damage to the trail. We both do alot of trail work ourselves and know how frustrating that can be to see riders oblivious to bad conditions.

I checked the SORBA/Chatt. website and no updates. Haven't checked BUMP yet, but will.

Of course we'd love to ride, but if the conditions are bad, we'll just keep driving south to Florida.
Oak Mountain drains well, and is good to go this time of year. Lots of great riding choices in Florida, as well. Sounds like a great trip.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitly hitting Santos for a few days. We may hit Alifia as well. We are not going further south due to time constraints, or we would be riding Markham.
I've ridden all 3 of these places and they're a lot of fun.

We'll be working our way back home w/possible stops in N.Georgia and Pisgah. We're driving so we'll be making gametime weather related decisions.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Megashnauzer said:
where in florida?
Are there other trails in Florida that are in the same league as Santos, Alafia or Markham?

I wish MTBR would improve the trail reviews or trail rating system. It just seems to be very dated and not very useful. Gotta wade thru too much stuff too.

We rode Raccoon Mtn today. Lots of singletrack fun. Thanks for the trail update skentback. Trails were nearly perfect. There were just a few spots that were wet.

·
Speedbump
310 Posts
Rideon said:
Are there other trails in Florida that are in the same league as Santos, Alafia or Markham?

I wish MTBR would improve the trail reviews or trail rating system. It just seems to be very dated and not very useful. Gotta wade thru too much stuff too.

We rode Raccoon Mtn today. Lots of singletrack fun. Thanks for the trail update skentback. Trails were nearly perfect. There were just a few spots that were wet.
Balm Boyette, just 10 minutes from Alafia, is in that class for sure.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rode Oak Mtn yesterday. Lots of rolling contour singletrack sweetness. Bloodrock was simply awesome fun. The Turner DW Flux was eating up the rocks! Big kudos to BUMP. Very well done.

On to Florida. Hit San Felasco on the way down south. Super fast and twisty. Up next Santos.

Where exactly is Balm Boyette?

·
Speedbump
310 Posts
Rideon said:
Rode Oak Mtn yesterday. Lots of rolling contour singletrack sweetness. Bloodrock was simply awesome fun. The Turner DW Flux was eating up the rocks! Big kudos to BUMP. Very well done.

On to Florida. Hit San Felasco on the way down south. Super fast and twisty. Up next Santos.

Where exactly is Balm Boyette?
You were at Oak Mt on Tuesday? I was there with my kids - we ran the full circuit Tuesday afternoon. Sorry I missed you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.