Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you are aware that Raccoon Mountain sustained a good bit of damage during the storm earlier this week. Small Intestine and Megawatt are almost unrideable at this point due to trees blocking the trails. There are also two trees down on East Rim and one on Grindstone. We haven't checked out Laurel Point yet, but assume it is in similar condition.

So, rather than our regular "try to go fast" pace tomorrow morning, I'm contemplating trying to assemble a larger group and get some of this stuff cleaned up. I figure we could meet at East Overlook by 6:45 (later than usual) and be rolling out by 7:00. I'm suggesting we do as much as we can with hand tools (large folding saws, etc. - anything you can carry in a pack with you on the bike).

The more people we have the faster this will go. You can knock off and head back to your car whenever you have to, you can also join us a little late if you prefer. I still plan on heading to work, will try to get downtown by 10:00 or so. If we get enough folks together I figure we can at least get East Rim and Small Intestine done.

Let me know if you can give a couple of hours of your time to this effort. I believe you can pick up decent folding saws at Ace Hardware, Rock Creek, the camping section at Wal-Mart, etc. They aren't terribly expensive.

Feel free to pass this on to other folks you may know. Let me know if you're coming so I can try to figure out how to organize our efforts. My email is twheeler "at" twharch "dot" com.

Thanks,

Trey

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey folks,

Just to follow up on yesterday's note:

Kevin, Manuel, and I did what we could this morning (thanks guys). Here's the current state of things:

East Rim - clear and ready to go all the way from East Overlook to Grindstone

Small Intestine - there are two spots where riders will still have to dismount. If you're riding clockwise, the first is a huge log perpendicular to the trail. It is located (I'm guessing) about a mile in, and is near where the trail is fairly exposed to the brow. The log is now de-limbed and ready for a saw (it will take a large chain saw, I'd recommend a 24" bar or so). The second trouble spot is near the "traffic circle" or "roundabout" feature. Looks like a tornado must have hit this spot. We de-limbed and cleared all of the small brush, but there are maybe 4 - 5 trees (all within 100 yards of one another) that need a chain saw. The only other issue is that we cut a "tunnel" out of a downed pine (not far, as the crow flies, from the switch yard). It is stable, and if it does fall further it will go slowly. We don't feel it is dangerous, but SORBA may still wish to consider removing it entirely.

So, that's all we were able to do this morning. We took care of Grindstone (with the exception of one large tree near the visitor's center) and Electric Avenue (from the yellow gate back to East Overlook) earlier this week. I know Megawatt is still a mess, and I assume most of the loop around Laurel Point will be in similarly poor condition right now.

Oh, and Rebecca, thanks for the donuts and coffee!

All my best,

Trey

·
Registered
370 Posts
All Clear Now...

We got the remainder of the trees yesterday (I think). I cleared out all of the chunky and around Laurel Pt. Tom and Sam got from Six Flags to L.P., and Scott got the intestines. If anyone sees anymore problematic areas, let me know and I'll get back up there with a saw.

Also, I really think something needs to be done with the newer redirected climb going up the East Rim. Looks like it's taking a lot of abuse. Doesn't drain well. Everyone, please walk this area when it's wet/muddy.

Cheers,
Stephen

·
Registered
516 Posts
Good deal!

Way to go guys...it's nice seeing everybody chipping in! I have not seen the conditions up there since the storm but thankfully everybody is doing their part to help remove the trees. Let me know if there is any large trees that you guys are uncomfortable removing and I'll cut em up! Again, thanks for taking the initiative and doing what it takes!:thumbsup:

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
Winning!!

Great job everybody! Everyone must be on Tiger blood;) I was up there friday and there were some big trees down! Lots of it cleared by then; but we still tryed to clear what we could by hand and just move sticks and debris from the trail. Looks like I need to get a folding saw;)

Now I hope tomorrow's storm doesn't do the same thing! :madman:

·
Registered
639 Posts
My son and I are heading to RM tomorrow (Friday the 11th).
It flooded here in MS on Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning. I'm sure the Chattanooga area got hit just as hard later on Wed.
I'm not sure as to what days we'll hit the trails, but should the trails at RM be dry by Friday afternoon in case we get set up in good time at RM caverns and campground and have time to hit the trails before dark. Also, are any night rides planned or allowed?
I sure hope to be able to add to my RM ride reports with pics!
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=437925

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dex said:
I'm not sure as to what days we'll hit the trails, but should the trails at RM be dry by Friday afternoon in case we get set up in good time at RM caverns and campground and have time to hit the trails before dark. Also, are any night rides planned or allowed?
Haven't been up since Tuesday due to all of the rain. My guess is that most of it will be okay by Friday afternoon. There is a relatively new re-route on the East Rim trail that will likely be a real mess - please walk that section. Otherwise, (and I'm only guessing) you should be alright. You may want to avoid the lower portion of Electric Avenue, it usually stays wet.

Will try to head up there early tomorrow if possible and post up about what I find.

I'm not sure what the official position on night rides is. They have been locking the "manual" gate at night though, I understand the automatic gate is broken right now. I wouldn't be a big deal if you parked outside the gate. We ride up there pre-dawn most days, the TVA police are aware of it and have not indicated we're doing anything wrong.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure and check on any updates once we arrive.
As far as nights rides go, my son is really just wanting to get atop a mtn and get some good images of the stars.
I thought along the levee might be a good place for him to set up the camera and tripod.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You should be fine on the night ride. We're planning on being up around 6. The levee would be a great place for star viewing/picture taking. Try right where you enter six flags from the levee. Have fun, look forward to the pics.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.