Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a R7 Platinum where the SPV seems to not work anymore. That might be a blessing have not decided for sure yet.:)
Anyway, fork is about a year old. Anybody have similiar experience and what did it take to fix?
thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Not a new problem

mtbdcd said:
I have a R7 Platinum where the SPV seems to not work anymore. That might be a blessing have not decided for sure yet.:)
Anyway, fork is about a year old. Anybody have similiar experience and what did it take to fix?
thanks.
This problem (SPV not working properly) has been covered in this forum on several threads. Do a search using "Manitou SPV" -- that should get you started. Typically, the blue SPV piston in the damper assembly gets stuck. The source of the problem has been blamed on swelling of the tiny 'O' rings inside the piston. Manitou uses a special non-petroleum (silicon based) grease to lube these seals. Once the grease wears off, the 'O' rings react with the damping oil and swell up, causing the piston to react slowly and eventually not move at all. You can obtain this grease at your local scuba diving shop -- it is used to lubricate mouthpieces and masks.

In order to fix this problem, you will have to remove the rebound damper assembly, disassemble it, re-grease the piston seals, and reassemble everything. It is not as difficult as it may sound. At least one of the threads on this forum provides a step-by-step instruction to disassemble and rebuild the damper assembly.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The clunking you hear is most likely the fork topping out due to insufficient rebound damping. This could be caused by the SPV valve sticking, or a rebound adjustment (blue knob on the bottom of the right hand fork leg) that is to fast (i.e. backed off too far).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Use Advanced Search

mtbdcd said:
Thanks.
I did do a search for SPV before posting and nothing found. Will broaden it to include Manitou.
Use the Advanced Search feature to select only the "Let's Talk About Shocks" forum, then plug in the "Manitou SPV" search criteria -- that should narrow your search considerably. Here are some threads I found by searching in that manner:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=259340&highlight=Manitou+SPV

http://www.thebikinghub.com/mtb/tips-and-tricks-for-tuning-your-manitou-fork/

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=64268&highlight=devolve

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FrankinMich said:
Use the Advanced Search feature to select only the "Let's Talk About Shocks" forum, then plug in the "Manitou SPV" search criteria -- that should narrow your search considerably. Here are some threads I found by searching in that manner:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=259340&highlight=Manitou+SPV

http://www.thebikinghub.com/mtb/tips-and-tricks-for-tuning-your-manitou-fork/

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=64268&highlight=devolve
Thanks for finding the links.
My comment was not meant for you to search for me, but rather to say i was not lazy and tried a search. I dislike posts that asks questions that have been answered numerous times in previous threads. But guess i posted one of those this time:)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I took my fork apart a few weeks ago to change fluids and install some new seals. I noticed at the time that I couldn't quite compress the gold SPV valve to a flush state against the rest of the assembly when squeezing it by hand. Is this the result of the o ring bloat? I'm pretty sure the SPV isn't working properly.

Whatever the case, the SPV valve in its present state with new fluids in the fork makes for a nice ride that still gives me plenty of low speed compression damping. I just kind of asssumed that the SPV valve had "devolved" on its own.

If I were to open up the fork again, why wouldn't I need all new o rings for the interior of the SPV damper?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your point about devolving is the basis for my original comment that maybe a blessing. In that i noticed over time the SPV not working quite so much on/off as it originally did. Until now, does not seem to function at all.
I have the same fork on two different bikes one almost new. So pretty easy to compare.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Mine quit with the binary on/off thing a long time ago as well and landed in its present state of smooth function. Like I said, the only thing that makes me think it isn't working "properly" is that I'm not sure the valve was able to push together as closed as it was supposed to when manipulated. I still get that stiction like feeling when I do the first squish of the fork in the driveway. What makes you think yours has totally quit working?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a couple of hundred miles the binary on/off went away on mine too. So i guess that is just a break in period thing.

But the initial stiction stayed which i assumed was how it was supposed to work.

But now, no initial stiction at all. No matter what pressure i have in the SPV side.

So it looks like i have some repair work to do. Given i know nothing about it, glad i have a second bike.:)

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
GrantB said:
I took my fork apart a few weeks ago to change fluids and install some new seals. I noticed at the time that I couldn't quite compress the gold SPV valve to a flush state against the rest of the assembly when squeezing it by hand. Is this the result of the o ring bloat? I'm pretty sure the SPV isn't working properly.

Whatever the case, the SPV valve in its present state with new fluids in the fork makes for a nice ride that still gives me plenty of low speed compression damping. I just kind of asssumed that the SPV valve had "devolved" on its own.

If I were to open up the fork again, why wouldn't I need all new o rings for the interior of the SPV damper?
Snap Valve or Evolve?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
GrantB said:
Dig the new avatar. Snap valve.
Thanks. It "came with the (new) bike".

You played with your SV and you DIDN'T post pics? WTF?!?!???! You don't love us anymore, Grant? :(

Did you at least tinker around with it to see what the "snap" part is about???????????? :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
More info :

- My fork is a R7 Platinum 80mm with SPV SnapValve
- Got 90 psi under the black cap and 70 psi in the SPV
- The rebound is low

I can avoid SPV clunking (when the valve opens) at 50 psi in the SPV but then there is nearly no platform and the fork clunk at rebound.

The behavior of the fork seems to be normal at higher SPV pressure but this horrible sound of the valve opening and closing appears...

I sent a mail to Manitou about this, they said it is normal... I'm doubtful Rita Dahle can stand those kind of clunking sound too... :madmax:

Thanks

lenny

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How many miles do you have on your fork?
That clunking/loose headset feeling and sound goes away after 100-200 miles. Fork works much better after the break in period.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not much, nearly 200 miles. But how the fork works is not the problem, that just this sound and this loose headset feeling that drives me crazy :)

So I will have to live with it for a moment until it disappears...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.