Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate when people ask me that. I much rather be overtly laughed at and derided than be asked if I'm OK. They also ask way before I've had time to ascertain whether I am or not. Whether I'm OK or not is really none of their business, and is it really necessary to ask? It'll be evident in short order if I needs assistance, or I'll ask for it.

The fact is, it's almost always feigned concern and veiled ridicule.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Did you crash? Are you ok?

I think is a normal reaction, even when I'm resting I get asked that.

As the riders fly by...

·
Registered
10,354 Posts
Yeah, if my buddies crash hard I'm off my bike and in their face checking them over. Not much is said initially. If it's a light crash "you aight?" is kinda just some communication to make sure then we can move on. If it's a funny crash a laughing "you ok...lol" is definitely veiled ridicule but they're in on the joke... usually.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I don't mind it. I'm getting it a fair amount lately because I have been off the bike since December with broken collarbone and finger and am in lousy shape again. So I take breaks. If I choose to, I can use it as motivation and sometimes do.

·
Rent this space for $
3,640 Posts
It's in my nature to stop and help people when they are down or trailside with an apparent issue. Please, post a description or a photo of yourself so if I have the occasion of coming across your carcass on the trail, I'll be sure to kick you in the nuts for falling of your bike again.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I hate when people ask me that. I much rather be overtly laughed at and derided than be asked if I'm OK. They also ask way before I've had time to ascertain whether I am or not. Whether I'm OK or not is really none of their business, and is it really necessary to ask? It'll be evident in short order if I needs assistance, or I'll ask for it.

The fact is, it's almost always feigned concern and veiled ridicule.
Sounds like a personal problem. It may take a few sessions but I bet a professional could help you find the source of this insecurity and generate some coping mechanisms. Good luck my friend.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Aim I stupid? I completely missed the context.

When do these people ask you this question? have you crashed? are you just riding so slowly that people think you are having a heart attack? Is blood shooting from your eye socket? Are you stairing whistfully into space?

The mind boggles.

·
Registered
17,557 Posts
Whether it's a crash or a mechanical or whatever they're just trying to be nice and whether or not you thinks it's dumb you should appreciate their intentions, which is to help if necessary. IMO.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Different strokes for different folks, but it makes me entirely happy when people ask this as they are passing by. Like "oh good, they give a s*** about a fellow rider!" Also, I've answered no to this question, and it worked out wonderfully.
Conversely, if I'm stopped on the side of the trail and someone doesn't at least look, I'm borderline offended. I get it, no one owes me anything-- but it's all right to expect courtesy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I remember once I yelled across a parking lot "Is everything okay".
Turns out she wasn't fiddling with her bike like it looked like from a far after all.

Oh well.

That day we rode the remainder of her ride, nearly 25 miles, before I continued to where I was parked.

She eventually became my girlfriend.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's another way to look at it. The just crashed rider is dazed, hurting, trying to figure out which way is up. The concerned bystander asking "are you OK" just adds to that workload with the expectation of a response. Personally, I don't generally know if I'm OK until I'm standing up and moving...which can take a while in most cases. In a minority of instances, yeah, it was nothing and I'm totally fine, but that's not the norm. So, IMO, asking R U OK the instant somebody crashes is somewhat inconsiderate. Give them a little space. The response they give it really irrelevant anyway because if you're truly concerned, you still need to wait a minute and see how they're doing to really know.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think most of us would feel like an ass if we saw you crash and stood in silence waiting for you to get your dazed self back up so we can finish our ride.

Interesting subject though because if/when that happens you (the crashee) would be totally human and say something like "thanks for caring you #$%^&*" Then you'd be angry at your friends for the remainder of the ride.

There is no winning in this situation. LOL

·
I want to ride my bike
299 Posts
Doesn't R U OK translate to something like this:
"I see you and you look fine, but letting you know I am here and I care and I can help. If you don't reply I will stop and see what's going on and ask again once you get some time to assess yourself unless you are not assessing yourself, then I will just help straight away. If you say no, I will stop and help. If you say yes, I am probably gonna make a joke about your situation."

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.