Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bikeoholic
537 Posts
good golly...

I have to say, after I sold my 26" full suser and got my Dos Niner softtail I would be done with Full Suspenion rigs forever...

I now really want to take that back... That is a beautiful bike in all apsects... I have to say though, I would probably go for the silver... I'm just not the biggest fan of gold bling...

In anycase that is a simply gorgeous bike that any man would be lucky to own... now I just have to decide which bike I'm going to get rid of and how I'm going to justify a thousand and a half on a frame...

·
carpe diem
277 Posts
Stop It!

Gumby - I blame you for all of my recent life changes.

You were the first person I ever rode with about two years ago that had a 29'er and single speed no less igniting crazy thoughts. Since then I have spent countless hours of my life lurking on this and the SS forum with disregard for much else.

I had foresaken my full suspension bike to ride my hardtail in single speed fashion.

I ended up selling my full sussy frame as well as a second long travel fully and parts I had stashed away for future use to fund new ideas in my head.

I spent more countless hours researching frames, wheels, hubs, and tires. Another fully frame hangs on the wall without parts and lifeless.

When I thought I was ready this year, I pulled the trigger and all the bits started to show up on my doorstep. My S.O. keeps asking what all these boxes are. My little one wonders why I spend so much time in the garage.

This month I roll out my first SS 29'er not knowing what to expect. It's a S.I.R. 9 that rides better than anything else I have ever owned.

I thought I was done looking and done with full suspension. And now you start posting stuff like this? Next thing I'll find myself busting my arse trying to huck stuff at Sprain or Blue....;)

Thought I should say thanks for the initiation into 29'ers :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
onegeargood said:
I don't know about you guys but I think that bottom pivot is poorly designed. How many hits can it take before it breaks?
It you are hitting the link on anything you have bigger problems to worry about than damaging it.
Rim Aircraft Aerospace engineering Auto part Engineering

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle fork

·
College
1,198 Posts
I would say it's better hitting a replacable link than a whole frame if the bottom bracket goes. At any rate most people probably won't hit that before they hit the chain rings or bashguard.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
endure26 said:
Weight is 6.5 lbs for a medium. For comparison, a Ventana El Capitan in 19" frame size weighs 6.43 lbs. More pics...

Not a criticism because I know that bike is a prototype, but in the last pic showing the bridge it looks like someone screwed up the compensation direction or comp type on the machining of the left hand pocket. Looks like they had cutter comp turned off for that one.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Cool bike. Glad to see more options. Can't wait to hear real world ride reports and comparos vs. Lenz and Ventana duallies.

I must admit that it looks "busy". Lots of small diameter/thin bits of Al and multiple little pieces of hardware.

I hope it works as advertised. Go Niner.

·
AussieLostInNyc
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr.Moto said:
Gumby - I blame you for all of my recent life changes.
Thought I should say thanks for the initiation into 29'ers :thumbsup:
My pleasure Bob, long time no see or even hear from. You did go into semi lurker mode as did I.
Spending more time on the home board, www.nycmtb.com
Been 'researching' other types of riding but the KM is my go to bike for most rides.
I would love to check out your build and hook up for a ride. Only rode Ringwwood twice in Winter and not at alll yet this spring / summer.
Need to clear up a nasty case of poison ivy curtesy of a TM day then I will be back in the saddle.
Simon

·
College
1,198 Posts
Soupboy said:
I must admit that it looks "busy". Lots of small diameter/thin bits of Al and multiple little pieces of hardware.
Yes, i must agree it looks a little busy, but just the same as other Fs bikes with gears. I wish they made the bike for full housing for a slightly cleaner look.

·
carpe diem
277 Posts
gumby said:
My pleasure Bob, long time no see or even hear from. You did go into semi lurker mode as did I.
Spending more time on the home board, www.nycmtb.com
Been 'researching' other types of riding but the KM is my go to bike for most rides.
I would love to check out your build and hook up for a ride. Only rode Ringwwood twice in Winter and not at alll yet this spring / summer.
Need to clear up a nasty case of poison ivy curtesy of a TM day then I will be back in the saddle.
Simon
Simon - Hope your poison ivy clears ups quickly! Your really pushing that KM to its limits based on some of the pics I've seen. I can see why your looking at other options. Would love to ride with you again sometime soon. Although riding with me won't be as extreme or fast ;)

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Soupboy said:
Cool bike. Glad to see more options. Can't wait to hear real world ride reports and comparos vs. Lenz and Ventana duallies.

I hope it works as advertised. Go Niner.
It woulda been kind of cool if they had tried a cromoly rear triangle a la Balfa and their idea of going AL up front and Cromo in the rear with their frames like the Belair, 2Step, and bb7. Might have helped with tire clearance issues as well, as that seemed like an issue that may have caused a lot of time spent in the design of this frame.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.