Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now trying to decide on the size I should get (feedback from Niner says Large) but I'm still un-decided. I've ben through the forums and read up but didn't find any info as such with sizes and measurements.

I'm 6'2+", 35.25" inseam and right now run a 22"/XL Trance w/ a 120mm/6 degree EA50 stem, EA50 Setback Seatpost. ETT measures 24.5" on the XL Trance. my saddle to pedal spindle measurement is 39" and the wheelbase measures 44.7".
I've attached a photo of myself on the Trance as it's currently setup and feels very comfortable right now - from the pic you can easily see why I'm interested in a 29er.

If you wouldn't mind listing your bike size and your specs it would help me a lot and also future R.I.P.9 owners.

Attachments

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Medium and I'm 5' 10 1/2". I don't have all the number. The Medium is a bit stretched out - the Niners tend to run stretched, so the sizing and geometry is generous.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am currently working with a customer who is 6'4" with a 36 inch inseam and is moving towards the RIP9. After looking at the geometry of his current custom and the Cannondale Prophet XL frame he is also considering and has test ridden, he definitely needs the XL.

Looking at your picture, I would think you need a longer top tube. I would go with the XL frame and keep the same stem length.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Some info./advice

I'm 6'5" and have a 35" inseem. Currently riding an XL SIR9 with a 105mm +6 degree stem (still tweaking a little) and a Zero setback seatpost. It fits like a glove. :thumbsup:

- At first I ran a 120mm in +6 degree rise, didn't like it, drove like a wheelbarrow. Then I flipped it, still terrible. Then by looking at many other folks setups here on MTBR I did the
unthinkable....I installed a 105mm, -6 degree with 15 - 20mm of spacers and WHOA!
Alive she came! :D So now I'm playing with things and have it at +6 degrees with no spacers. It "looks" cleaner with the lo-rise bar but I miss the 3/8ths of an inch. On order now is a 110 +6 stem times 2. - 1 for the SIR, 1 for the RIP, both XL's.:)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far guys. DMFT thanks especially for yours as your inseam is the same as mine, just you're a bit taller. So you've settled on a 110mm stem, so prob for my height if I went for the XL I'd be on a 90mm or so stem - which is what I had calculated or the L with a 110mm stem.Man it sucks when you can't actually throw a leg over a bike to really get an idea for fit.

DMFT would it be asking to much to get a pic of you on the RIP with this setup to see your riding position in comparison to mine, maybe we have different styles/ways or how we like to be on a bike. I'm thinking the XL w/ slightly shorter stem will be more confidence inspiring on the DH's and tech stuff.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you think I should in fact have an XXL Trance riding right now and not the XL in other words? So XL-RIP 9 w/ 100-110mm stem and a straight post? Must be the almost knuckle dragging length arms I've got :D I am long and lanky :rolleyes:

TiRyder said:
90mm will be way too short. You need a longer TT/stem combo.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This is very simplified, but here goes:

In order to have proper fit, you always set the riders seat postion first. Whether the post is set back or not should not be determined by the length of the top tube and stem. The setback of the post should be determined by the postion of the knee over the pedal spindle when the feet are in the3 and 9 oclovk position, as in your photo. That way you can avoid damaging sheer forces on the knee and maximize your leverage on the crankarm. Once you set the seat position, then you work your way up to the bar with stem length/angle. With your leg length predicating a very high saddle position, you will need a very tall frame to get the bars up to where they need to be. Then you choose the stem length and angle based as much on your flexibility at the pelvis as your torso and arm length.

Looking at your photo, your seat should come forward a bit, but the bike is too small for your body. You need a longertop tube and stem than what you have, not only to get the saddle in the correct position, but to let you stretch out a bit more. The angle of your pelvis and arms needs to be adjusted so you are stretched out a bit more.

I still think you need the XL Niner with a 120 or longer stem.

You are a big guy with looong arms and legs.

You can always swap out stems for relatively cheap, so dont try to lock yourself in to buying the absolute correct one the first time.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks again for the input TiRyder.......

......and being that you've actually ridden with me on the Trance, I appreciate the input greatly.............. I totally understand that saddle position is the most important thing to set and should be set first, I was just thinking of the 1/2 degree seattube angle change and thinking the XL only but it's the L as well. As for my saddle position I actually like being about 1-2cm behind the pedal spindle and it doesn't seem to effect my knees and helps in pushing on the climbs, maybe it could come forward a tad - 3-5mm - but I don't think I'd want it anymore than that.

I'm just obsessing about fit since I bought the Trance blind and it has pretty much worked out pretty good, but then again the complete bike before I started upgrading was less than the retail for the RIP9. Just won't get a chance to walk into a shop and sit on a L & XL to see what they feel like and this time I'd really like to get it spot on.

I with you on the XL thought and even more so since the general consensus is that the RIP9 would be even better using a 130mm fork, which would slope the TT and steepen the HA and effectively shorten the TT - I plan on eventually going this route when more forks become available in the next year or two.

edit Guess I wasn't paying total attention to the geometry and didn't notice that the HA is 1 degree steeper on the RIP9 than on the Trance - which would explain how they manage to have a 1" longer ETT and only a 1/2-3/4" longer wheelbase using 29er wheels. The more I study on it and realize stuff like this, the more I'm leaning towards the XL - L specs out almost identical to the XL Trance.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
LyNx said:
Thanks for all the replies so far guys. DMFT thanks especially for yours as your inseam is the same as mine, just you're a bit taller. So you've settled on a 110mm stem, so prob for my height if I went for the XL I'd be on a 90mm or so stem - which is what I had calculated or the L with a 110mm stem.Man it sucks when you can't actually throw a leg over a bike to really get an idea for fit.

DMFT would it be asking to much to get a pic of you on the RIP with this setup to see your riding position in comparison to mine, maybe we have different styles/ways or how we like to be on a bike. I'm thinking the XL w/ slightly shorter stem will be more confidence inspiring on the DH's and tech stuff.
- I should be able to make that happen when mine arrives. Same for the stem.
You clearly should be on an XL so all that's left is to pick the stem length for YOU.
Everyone varies and has different want's.... IMO/E 29" bikes work best with short stems, usually shorter than you think you'd ever use. Have fun with it and experiment + / - rises, lengths, stack hight, and even bars. YOU will find what works for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Xtra Large reporting in...

I'm 6'1.5", 34.7" (true-cycling) inseam, on an XL. Looking at the Niner suggested sizing indicates I should be squarely on a Large, and at the small end of the XL spectrum.

I rode the XL twice at Ibike last year, and felt no need to even consider the Large. Discussed sizing with Chris, and he offered that Niner sizing recommendations are just that...recommendations.

I also had a Large SIR9 and felt that bike was a bit small. Running a front derailleur more or less mandates that you have the EBB in the farthest forward position, and I thought the front-center felt too short. The feeling wasn't as noticeable when running as a single speed with the EBB slightly aft of bottom-dead-center (7-o'clock position, looking at bike from drive-side).

My recently arrived XL has saddle height at 78.5cm (measured center of BB to top of saddle), 110mm/6-degree Ritchie stem…that combo gives me a perfect (for me) cockpit...60cm from nose of saddle to center of bars, with top of grips approximately 0.5" below top of saddle running Easton Monkeylite low-rise bars.

Bike has been ridden twice...feels very nimble and maneuverable, and the East Coast terrain is a lot different than the Ibike "Dirt Demo". Have read (I think it was in the "29er FS Shootout") that the RIP9 seems to work a bit better with a shorter stem, and this appears to be true.

Riders in the 6'1" to 6'2" seem to frequently be stuck between many manufacturer's size L and XL. In the past, I've usually down-sized, but with the RIP9 I have absolutely no regret that I up-sized.

Hope this is helpful.

-Raynman59

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Raynman that was exactly what I was looking for - perfect. Yet there are guys that are 6' and riding a Medium :confused: I experienced this a couple times also with the Trance and found it very weird.

DMFT I'll be waiting for that pic - thanks. and if you could also post one up Raynman that would be superb.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Raynman, more teasing till I can figure out how I'm gona get one and get it down here or do I wait till I go up in August for LT100 :confused:
I was hoping for a pic of you actually sitting on the bike like the one of me to see how you look "perched" atop it.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greatly appreciated.

Since you're just the tiniest bit smaller in height and inseam than me it gives me reassurance to go with the XL seeing you on it. And don't those 29er wheels look more in line like what someone our size should be riding and as someone told me not a "Hopped up BMX" which is what they said "us" 6+' guys make 26" wheel bikes look like.

raynman59 said:
I was hoping for a pic of you actually sitting on the bike like the one of me to see how you look "perched" atop it.[/QUOTE]

...well, sort of. It's a bit COLD here, but hope this helps.

-Raynman59

·
Registered
110 Posts
I want to believe...

And don't those 29er wheels look more in line like what someone our size should be riding and as someone told me not a "Hopped up BMX" which is what they said "us" 6+' guys make 26" wheel bikes look like.
...this being my 2nd 29er, I view them more as "different" rather than "better". I really haven't found anything I can do on my big-wheels that I couldn't already do on my 26ers. One area that I'm convinced 29" wheels really make sense is for single speeds. I definitely need more time on the RIP9 to see what it does for my opinion on 29" wheels.

Glad I've been able to help you with your sizing questions. Plenty of people in my situation would have gone with the L, and I've done just that in the past. No regrets whatsoever on my current choice. The RIP9 has excellent standover for a given size, plus I've read several comments that indicate the bike handles a bit better with shorter stems.

Botton line: I think you will enjoy an XL RIP9.

-Raynman59

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I personally don't think I'll see a huge improvement just because I get a 29er, but in some areas I think I will see some good benefits and others I prob will feel a bit of a loss compared to 26" wheeled bikes. I just like the fact that the actual frame sizes seem to be a tad bit on the bigger side compared to 26's and the whole "roll over things better/easier" idea appeals to me.

Also w/ a 2nd wheelset w/ slicks and a road cassette it makes it a lot damned easier to go hook up with your friends on their roadies and not get left in the dust because of your lack of gearing or be spinning like a madd hamster..

raynman59 said:
...this being my 2nd 29er, I view them more as "different" rather than "better". I really haven't found anything I can do on my big-wheels that I couldn't already do on my 26ers. One area that I'm convinced 29" wheels really make sense is for single speeds. I definitely need more time on the RIP9 to see what it does for my opinion on 29" wheels.

-Raynman59

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.