Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if the geometry listed on the Niner site for the R.I.P 9 is accurate? I know I'm thinking quite a ways in advance, but, just trying to figure out what size I should probably get when I finally save up the cash for it. I right now ride a 22"/XL Trance w/ a 120mm stem and setback post, TT measurement as far as I can determine is 24.5" max which is over 1/4" shorter than their advertised geometry charts say. Right now I measure 36.75" from rear of saddle to front of stem. I'm 6'2 1/4" w/ a 35" inseam.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
LyNx said:
Just wanted to know if the geometry listed on the Niner site for the R.I.P 9 is accurate? I know I'm thinking quite a ways in advance, but, just trying to figure out what size I should probably get when I finally save up the cash for it. I right now ride a 22"/XL Trance w/ a 120mm stem and setback post, TT measurement as far as I can determine is 24.5" max which is over 1/4" shorter than their advertised geometry charts say. Right now I measure 36.75" from rear of saddle to front of stem. I'm 6'2 1/4" w/ a 35" inseam.
There is an easy test for a bike company's geometry:Call them up, then ask them this question:

If you have a right triangle with a 3 inch long side and a 4 inch long side, how long is the hypotenuse?

If their answer is anywhere around 5 inches, they're geometry is pretty good. :thumbsup:

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
Quasi said:
There is an easy test for a bike company's geometry:Call them up, then ask them this question:

If you have a right triangle with a 3 inch long side and a 4 inch long side, how long is the hypotenuse?

If their answer is anywhere around 5 inches, they're geometry is pretty good. :thumbsup:
"around 5 inches?" :skep: If I'd given an answer like that on a vector exam I'd have flunked.

"around 5 inches" fer cryin out loud.

·
minister of chaos
312 Posts
Caffeine Powered said:
"around 5 inches?" :skep: If I'd given an answer like that on a vector exam I'd have flunked.

"around 5 inches" fer cryin out loud.
You have to consider manufacturing tolerances.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if that's a question or statement :confused: but either way yes I take the Effective TT measurement from the centre of the HT to the centre of the seattube along a horizontal plane, using the standard fork which the bike was designed for.

Wish I Were Riding said:
Their measurements for Effective Top Tube are taken from the center of the HT to the center of the post along a horizontal. You aren't taking measements from the same place.
Oh and I almost forgot to say thanks for all the helpful replies.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
LyNx said:
Not sure if that's a question or statement :confused: but either way yes I take the Effective TT measurement from the centre of the HT to the centre of the seattube along a horizontal plane, using the standard fork which the bike was designed for.
Okay then. You confused me because you said "Right now I measure 36.75" from rear of saddle to front of stem.". So I thought you were doing it wrong. Guess not. :p

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just gave that measurement as an idea of cockpit length/setup.
Wish I Were Riding said:
Okay then. You confused me because you said "Right now I measure 36.75" from rear of saddle to front of stem.". So I thought you were doing it wrong. Guess not. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.