Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had these shoes about 5-6 years. I've ridden in them literally 3 times. I hate platforms but every once in awhile I'll revisit them just to reconfirm my hate for them. I've used them from time to time as street shoes but not enough to even put any wear on the sole and the uppers are in almost perfect shape.

Anyways...I pulled my Sam Hills of my shoe rack and took them to Dirt Fest with me. Didn't look at them. Just grabbed them and packed them with the rest of my stuff. I decided to demo a bike today and instead of running back to my camp to get my bike so they could swap pedals...I just had them throw platforms on. I rode back to camp to change shoes only to notice that the foot bed of my shoes had completely disintegrated. I went ahead and rode with them...only about 4 miles. By the time I was done...so where the shoes. 100% trashed.

Has anyone seen anything like that with a pair of shoes...especially the 5.10 Sam Hill? I'm pretty disappointed that a very low use but pretty expensive shoe would just fail like this?

Metal Sculpture Macro photography Artifact

Product Yellow White Athletic shoe Black

Grey Tan Beige Walking shoe Silver

Grey Foot Sculpture Toe Slipper

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
The shoes failed because the adhesive used is not designed to last very long. Typically, mountain biking, skateboarding, etc. type shoes experience outsole wear-through rather quickly compared to casual shoes. Adhesive and the material it attaches to will deteriorate with age and conditions (heat/cold). Years ago I purchased new old stock skate/bike shoes off of eBay. I wore them less than a month and they fell apart. I took the shoes to a local shoe repair shop and learned a lot more about shoe construction than I wanted.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's stupid. I can understand the actual sole wearing pretty fast since it's such a soft rubber. But it's ridiculous that a shoe would fall apart like this with really minimal use and nothing extreme like the shoe was even designed for. I'd be ok if they had a couple seasons of hard riding. But not 3 rides and casual wear. It's even worse since the upper is all leather and in great shape. It hurts to just have to throw these things in the trash. I'm assuming they won't be able to be repaired either. Just another good reason I guess to not ride flats or ever buy another pair of flat specific cycling shoes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What sucks even more is you cannot buy replacement soles. I also have a pair of 5.10's that have about 6 months on them. Wore out the soles and had my LBS try and source soles but no luck. So i have a nice pair of riding shoes that I can't use for riding.....pissed.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
I wonder if there are other variables involved. I have those exact same shoes. Mine are super old. I did not wear them often. They are still 100% fine.

In fact I have a few pair of VERY old 5-10s that are still going strong.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
That's stupid. I can understand the actual sole wearing pretty fast since it's such a soft rubber. But it's ridiculous that a shoe would fall apart like this with really minimal use and nothing extreme like the shoe was even designed for. I'd be ok if they had a couple seasons of hard riding. But not 3 rides and casual wear. It's even worse since the upper is all leather and in great shape. It hurts to just have to throw these things in the trash. I'm assuming they won't be able to be repaired either. Just another good reason I guess to not ride flats or ever buy another pair of flat specific cycling shoes.
What's stupid? That the materials in your shoes deteriorated while sitting in storage? That is what your picture clearly shows. The adhesive failed.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if there are other variables involved. I have those exact same shoes. Mine are super old. I did not wear them often. They are still 100% fine.

In fact I have a few pair of VERY old 5-10s that are still going strong.
Not sure. I keep them in my house so they aren't exposed to extreme temps or fluctuations. Only three rides on them so not much exposure to rough terrain or water or mud. Other than those rides I've only worn them like normal shoes but they've never been an everyday shoe for me because they are a bit heavy and clunky. Comfortable. But kinda bulky. I probably haven't worn them more than 10-12 times a year.

·
Administrator
11,822 Posts
So I've had these shoes about 5-6 years. I've ridden in them literally 3 times. I hate platforms but every once in awhile I'll revisit them just to reconfirm my hate for them. I've used them from time to time as street shoes but not enough to even put any wear on the sole and the uppers are in almost perfect shape.

Anyways...I pulled my Sam Hills of my shoe rack and took them to Dirt Fest with me. Didn't look at them. Just grabbed them and packed them with the rest of my stuff. I decided to demo a bike today and instead of running back to my camp to get my bike so they could swap pedals...I just had them throw platforms on. I rode back to camp to change shoes only to notice that the foot bed of my shoes had completely disintegrated. I went ahead and rode with them...only about 4 miles. By the time I was done...so where the shoes. 100% trashed.

Has anyone seen anything like that with a pair of shoes...especially the 5.10 Sam Hill? I'm pretty disappointed that a very low use but pretty expensive shoe would just fail like this?

View attachment 1264571

View attachment 1264569

View attachment 1264567

View attachment 1264565
when my wife and I were pre-kids we used to hike a lot, then started mountain biking more and the new hiking boots she had got set aside. Once we had kids we picked up hiking a bit again and on our first hike with her boots did the same thing. I think it is something about the midsole material that degraded at the glue to the sole. My older boots without the soft midsole were fine.

Just recently I also grabbed as set of running shoes to wear on a trip and during the duration of the trip the shoes began losing the traction pads from the midsole as I walked around a building. Again, they were occasional use shoes and mostly stored. I think that a lot of these midsole materials need to be exercised to stay flexible and once they cross the line of age without the exercise they shear easily at the glue.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's stupid? That the materials in your shoes deteriorated while sitting in storage? That is what your picture clearly shows. The adhesive failed.
Exactly. I have shoes and boots that are a lot older than these pieces of **** that are in great shape with no deterioration and that have seen a lot more use as well.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Beat the hell out of mine for the past two years. Sole is starting to fall off, need to glue them back on. But nothing like this.

Vast majority of my MTB riding is on my long travel bike in flats.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't even glue these. The mid sole just turns to dust when you touch it. Glue wouldn't be able to adhere to anything.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had a pair of hiking boots fall apart like that. I'd only used it a handful of times because they weren't the most comfortable. The last time I wore them was 4yrs earlier and the only reason I grabbed these was because my other boots were at the GF's palce. A buddy pointed out that I was leaving a black trail behind me, I looked at my boots at the soles were literally disentegrating as I walked. I think it was just the type of compound used in the EVA foam and or rubber that didn't have a very long shelf life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.