Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little feedback on adding a second bike to the quiver.

I’m currently riding a 2016 Spec 6fattie that handles everything my riding style throws at it. I often describe it as a fully loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee with sub par gas mileage. My home MN trails are dirt singletrack and the 6fattie is overkill 90% of the time. The other 10% I don’t worry about because I know the bike exceeds my risk limits. I’m 6’1” 190# and come up just shy of 1000 miles each year.

My dilemma/opportunity is that I also ride in the Phoenix area a couple weeks each year and am tired of the bike rental fees. I’m looking for a second whip to leave there so have been exploring the shorter travel, perhaps better climbing bikes. Epic Evo at my LBS checks boxes on paper but I’ve yet to ride it.

While the 6fattie is awesome for the AZ chunk I think I want to leave it in MN because there simply is less climbing and I can usually ride it into the early snow. So (I think) I’m looking for a tighter climber that won’t beat me up to bad in AZ. Or a rocket with a bit of squish to use in MN and move the 6fattie down to AZ and suck it up on the climbs for two weeks a year. I’m just torn on what to do.

What would you do?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,566 Posts
Looking for a little feedback on adding a second bike to the quiver.

I'm currently riding a 2016 Spec 6fattie that handles everything my riding style throws at it. I often describe it as a fully loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee with sub par gas mileage. My home MN trails are dirt singletrack and the 6fattie is overkill 90% of the time. The other 10% I don't worry about because I know the bike exceeds my risk limits. I'm 6'1" 190# and come up just shy of 1000 miles each year.

My dilemma/opportunity is that I also ride in the Phoenix area a couple weeks each year and am tired of the bike rental fees. I'm looking for a second whip to leave there so have been exploring the shorter travel, perhaps better climbing bikes. Epic Evo at my LBS checks boxes on paper but I've yet to ride it.

While the 6fattie is awesome for the AZ chunk I think I want to leave it in MN because there simply is less climbing and I can usually ride it into the early snow. So (I think) I'm looking for a tighter climber that won't beat me up to bad in AZ. Or a rocket with a bit of squish to use in MN and move the 6fattie down to AZ and suck it up on the climbs for two weeks a year. I'm just torn on what to do.

What would you do?
Buy a high quality travel box and get a bike that you will ride in both places. The 6fat is a 27+ with medium travel, you like it for what it is, but it's slow and heavy, so I'd shoot for a playful, lightweight, short travel 29er like the Ibis Ripley, Giant Trance 29 Pro, or some progressive geo bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phoenix area...Most often at San Tan, love Hawes, have done South mountain a couple times but it's across town. Rode Gold Canyon for the first time this spring (I think that's what it was called) and tried the Cactus Cup two years ago at McDowell.

Definitely going to get something lighter and more playful for bike two. Just not sure how far to swing the pendulum. Test rode ...if you can call it that... a few bikes tonight in the neighborhood around the bike shop. Santa Cruz Tallboy and a Blur as well as an Epic Evo. The Blur just felt right. It's about as far away from the 6fattie as one could imagine. But dang did it ride nice. Research continues.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
38,813 Posts
If you are going to get out and ride in AZ, there's a LOT of chunky stuff, you definitely don't need 6" of travel, but I'd shy away from an Epic, which is basically a race XC bike. Lots of good stuff in the 120-140mm travel range that won't be such a bear to climb. The wheels and tires on that 6fattie are a huge part of the issue of how sluggish it is to ride, so fixing that will make a big difference. I'm not sure which bike I would leave where, there is definitely opportunity in AZ to do some bigger chunkier riding, but if you aren't into that, the 120-140mm is perfectly find and will handle most of SoMo, all of Sedona, and so on.

I love riding a fast-accelerating XC bike almost as much as I love doing gravity stuff. You can corner much faster on an XC bike and reach speeds on parts of the trail (besides just straight uphill) that are not possible on the other heavier bike. I totally get where you are coming from as far as that. It may just be that Minnesota is the better place for that kind of bike, you have to be the judge. AZ has descents more than 4000' vertical in some places, with lots of chunk on the way.

And all that said, if you are just going to ride at the tamer in-city trails in AZ, then maybe the XC race bike will be fine, but I don't generally consider AZ and Phoenix to be that kind of place, unlike places in the midwest I've ridden in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,505 Posts
Not sure how much sense it makes to buy a bike to just ride for two weeks. If you want to get something that rolls faster...you can always get a set of 29 inch wheels for the 6F. It'll take 29 inch wheels up to 2.6 inches. There are tons of options out there in regards to a nice set of light 29er wheels. I think I'd rather travel with my bike vs getting one and leaving it in another state to ride for two weeks out of the year.
 

·
WillWorkForTrail
Joined
·
4,989 Posts
Buy a high quality travel box and get a bike that you will ride in both places. shoot for a playful, lightweight, short travel 29er like the Ibis Ripley, Giant Trance 29 Pro, or some progressive geo bike.
This. Words can't really describe how happy I am with some of the short travel trail 29ers I've ridden. No, they aren't XC bike snappy under hard efforts, but I'm not racing XC I'm out having fun. And they aren't that much softer/slower to pedal. So yeah, I'd skip the XC bike, and get a trail bike you'll have fun on in both places, get a travel box and take it back and forth with you. It's become cheap enough to ship the bike ahead of time if you're flying (or even to fly with a bike in some cases) that it'll still be cheaper than renting a bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it doesn’t make a ton of sense to buy a bike to leave down there ... except I’ve spent enough to have paid for a bike to leave down there. I’ve shipped twice so far (the first couple trips) and it was relatively painless so will ponder the box options.

The comment above about buying a different set of wheels for the 6fattie is a great one that I haven’t given much thought. I did go out and weigh the whip this morning out of curiosity. With the cup holders, power door locks and V-plow on the front it comes in at exactly 35 pounds. Think I might strip it down to the basics and weight the current hoops just to see what’s possible if I’d go crazy with some carbon and 2.6” rubber.

That’s something I’d totally be open to because I absolutely love the stumpy. It got me back into biking, allows me to do anything I’m willing to risk, and obviously provides a great workout :) The quest continues!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,049 Posts
This. Words can't really describe how happy I am with some of the short travel trail 29ers I've ridden. No, they aren't XC bike snappy under hard efforts, but I'm not racing XC I'm out having fun. And they aren't that much softer/slower to pedal. So yeah, I'd skip the XC bike, and get a trail bike you'll have fun on in both places, get a travel box and take it back and forth with you. It's become cheap enough to ship the bike ahead of time if you're flying (or even to fly with a bike in some cases) that it'll still be cheaper than renting a bike.
Or Fly Delta- they dropped bike fees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,964 Posts
I did go out and weigh the whip this morning out of curiosity. With the cup holders, power door locks and V-plow on the front it comes in at exactly 35 pounds.
That is priceless!

And 35 pounds will always be, um, a lot.

I'd sell that thing, and buy a snappy 120 or 130 mm 29er for both places.

2.3 or 2.4 tires in MN and 2.6 in AZ. More volume reducers and less shock/fork pressure in AZ and less VRs and more pressure in MN. Modern bikes are tuneable across SO much more range than most people realize.

Sidebar: What is your "home court" in MN?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Admittedly, I have not played with suspension at all. I need to get braver and mess with things I guess.

Home court is just Northwest of Minneapolis. Some absolutely wonderful dirt singletrack in this area. Tight and twisty to open flow...if it would stop raining we could get out and enjoy it more. It's been a very wet year so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,808 Posts
Looking for a little feedback on adding a second bike to the quiver.

I'm currently riding a 2016 Spec 6fattie that handles everything my riding style throws at it. I often describe it as a fully loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee with sub par gas mileage. My home MN trails are dirt singletrack and the 6fattie is overkill 90% of the time. The other 10% I don't worry about because I know the bike exceeds my risk limits. I'm 6'1" 190# and come up just shy of 1000 miles each year.

My dilemma/opportunity is that I also ride in the Phoenix area a couple weeks each year and am tired of the bike rental fees. I'm looking for a second whip to leave there so have been exploring the shorter travel, perhaps better climbing bikes. Epic Evo at my LBS checks boxes on paper but I've yet to ride it.

While the 6fattie is awesome for the AZ chunk I think I want to leave it in MN because there simply is less climbing and I can usually ride it into the early snow. So (I think) I'm looking for a tighter climber that won't beat me up to bad in AZ. Or a rocket with a bit of squish to use in MN and move the 6fattie down to AZ and suck it up on the climbs for two weeks a year. I'm just torn on what to do.

What would you do?
I live in Az and have 3 bikes. Each of yours will work, but the real question is what trails do you want to ride in Phoenix. Epic Evo is ideal for probably 80% of the Phx miles, but not ideal for some Phx trails where 6 fattie is much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,808 Posts
Phoenix area...Most often at San Tan, love Hawes, have done South mountain a couple times but it's across town. Rode Gold Canyon for the first time this spring (I think that's what it was called) and tried the Cactus Cup two years ago at McDowell.
San Tan, Hawes, Gold Canyon = Epic Evo places. Cactus Cup = McDowells = Epic Evo.

South Mtn Desert classic = Epic Evo, South Mtn National, Geronimo etc = 6 Fattie.

I have Epic (non evo, but I did add a dropper post) and this bike is comfortable almost every where including all the places you mentioned. My other bike is a singlespeed HT (29x2.3 or 29x2.6) that is also great all over. Both of these bikes are under 23lbs. My "Big bike" is Santa Cruz 5010 with 27.5x2.6 tires. I use that like an enduro bike as it 30lbs and it used for most gnarly and chunky trails.

Generally I like light and fast bikes.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top