Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
JRuss1524
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the mythical quest to find the bike that does it all.
I do a lot of different riding, from rough and technical xc to full on enduro, with a couple bike park days thrown in the mix.
I have tried the orbea occam, ripmo, and Tallboy 4. Neither really did it for me. The occam and Tallboy never felt dialed to me, and while the ripmo felt very comfortable fit wise, I found it a bit too Cadillac like for my tastes.
Would love some suggestions for efficient trail bikes in the 130-140mm travel range.

Budget is around 4500-5000 dollars, and happy to shop used

Thanks!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Revel Rascal, YT Izzo, Canyon Neuron. Just throwing them out there, unfortunately I don't have any time on either.

Evil Offering. Rented one of these for our UPS, LPS, Porcupine Rim day last May. Nice bike, I really enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if you could get into one at your pricepoint.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
SB130? (Although...a used Yeti...caveat emptor and all that).

A little over budget ($5399), but, maybe, Alchemy Arktos 29? (160/140)

Maybe look to Guerilla Gravity? You could buy a bike, a couple of seatstays, a couple of shocks and forks and literally have: an XC/DC (trail pistol), mini enduro (Pistola), Enduro (Smash), a bigger enduro (Gnarvana), some 27.5 options if you bought some wheels...or any combination of those things.

Not to mention a Trail Pistol and Pistola seems plenty capable; mid-level build $4795.

Nurse Ben in 3...2...1...:D:D:D

·
Thicc Member
1,178 Posts
Do you want a bike that does it all or do you want an efficient trail bike 130-140mm?

The only reason I don't ride my 160mm bikes on mellow terrain is because they make it boring. They're just too good.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Might be able to find a used 2020 Switchblade. Gets great reviews. The base model is right at 5500 new if you can stretch the budget. Most people that ride love it. Front travel is a bit more than you are looking for but when I rode it it seemed well matched to the 140 rear. Maybe a Trail 429. It gets good reviews as well.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,426 Posts
Complete build, XT, $5299 USD:

https://us.forbiddenbike.com/products/druid-xt-complete

IMG_0478.jpg
IMG_0479.jpg
IMG_0480.jpg

Squamish proven:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Frames,7/Forbidden/Druid,27121#product-reviews/3648

"We have always been drawn to short travel bikes with a gravity bias, so we reached out to our friends in Cumberland, BC to get ourselves the Druid for a few months of riding in Squamish, BC..."

"...we never felt the need to use the compression lever on the shock to help with efficiency and very few can match its technical climbing prowess..."

"Regardless of what section we rode and how we rode it, the Druid was planted and confidence-inspiring when we dropped our heels, and poppy and playful when we jibbed about. On the shorter punchy bits, the lack of pedal feedback meant we could put power to the ground easily without blowing our feet off, and the shorter-than-usual travel meant we could climb far more efficiently than the enduro bikes that tend to frequent the trail most of the time..."

"Regardless of feeling a little badly about dragging a 130mm bike up the chairlift, the Druid took rougher trails in stride and was an absolute rocket ship on trails like Ninja Cougar. After being so fun on the rolling, playful trails in Squamish we were impressed that the Druid also felt planted and composed on such high-speed, abusive trails."

"The Druid makes a strong case as the pound-for-pound most capable bike we have thrown a leg over. It is energetic and nimble at lower speeds, and as the speeds and terrain get more demanding, the bike lengthens and settles into itself. Forbidden has created an extremely versatile bike, and the Druid confirms that the idler excels in applications other than just DH bikes. In a place like the Sea to Sky corridor, the terrain is intimidating enough that many folks rely on a long-travel bike for the handful of gnarly bits within a given ride, but a shorter travel bike like the Druid is capable enough to absorb the heavy impacts, and much more fun everywhere in between."

"...short travel “downcountry” bikes do not inspire the same confidence, nor can they withstand the abuse in a place like Squamish. The Forbidden Druid is truly a downhiller’s trail bike: capable enough for reckless abandon, efficient enough that a recreational cross-country race is not out of the question and playful enough that mellower trails are still engaging. The Trifecta suspension design is proof that the high idler concept is effective and efficient in places other than the downhill track, and we would bet our bottom dollar that a race-oriented 160mm Forbidden offering would be an absolute weapon. The Druid is a great option for anyone but is best suited to those looking for a mini-DH bike that will allow them to climb efficiently and descend like hooligans."

Plus Lewis Buchanan aboard the 130mm Druid, soon to be competing in the Enduro World Series...

Best bike I have ever ridden. And that includes all DW and VPP variations. It literally does it all. With no compromise.

High. Pivot. Witchcraft.

IMG_0477.jpg

·
Thicc Member
1,178 Posts
The main reason the Fuel ex8 is $3500 is because it's a Trek. The problem with getting that bike is that you'll be riding a Trek. And actually bikesdirect usually make me throw up a little in my mouth but that Motobecane doesn't look half bad.

For instance, the Intense Primer expert build is the same price as the Trek, but it's a full carbon frame. No knockblock. No special shock. No split pivot. No reason the Trek should be that expensive.

The Ripmo AF Deore is $3200 with better suspension and DW linkage. A far superior machine for $300 less.

·
No Clue Crew
7,176 Posts
People sure do have opinions. Too bad they’re often baseless.

I’m currently on a 2020 EX8. It’s a significantly better bike than any Trek I’ve previously ridden. Once you put a proper fork on and decent brakes, it’s pretty rad.

It blows the doors off the SB130. Pretty comparable to the Ripmo, more plush, less snappy.

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
You rang?

So yeah, a quiver killer for someone who likes to go hard, but doesn’t want to haul around their grandmas sofa.

A short travel 29er brawler, GG Pistola is what I ride, Knolly Fugitive has a good rep, I’m sure there are others.

The things I’d look for are burly build, aggressive geo, good stoppers, meaty tires.

It’s gotta be a bike that’s built for enduro, but doesn’t ride uphill like youre dragging an anchor.

I like the Pistola because it’s so adjustable (two headset positions and two lower cup heights) it can be changed into other configurations, easy to swap wheels or run mixed wheels, and of course it’s made in Colorado 😊

I flog my Pistola like I would a big travel bike, it’s just solid. At the same time I’ll ride it for an all day epic and climb/descend 10k, never feels like too much bike; my Megatrail did feel like too much bike.

SB130? (Although...a used Yeti...caveat emptor and all that).

A little over budget ($5399), but, maybe, Alchemy Arktos 29? (160/140)

Maybe look to Guerilla Gravity? You could buy a bike, a couple of seatstays, a couple of shocks and forks and literally have: an XC/DC (trail pistol), mini enduro (Pistola), Enduro (Smash), a bigger enduro (Gnarvana), some 27.5 options if you bought some wheels...or any combination of those things.

Not to mention a Trail Pistol and Pistola seems plenty capable; mid-level build $4795.

Nurse Ben in 3...2...1...:D:D:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
There is only one solution to your dilemma. Pick an Ibis and be a dick about it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
JRuss1524
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Might be able to find a used 2020 Switchblade. Gets great reviews. The base model is right at 5500 new if you can stretch the budget. Most people that ride love it. Front travel is a bit more than you are looking for but when I rode it it seemed well matched to the 140 rear. Maybe a Trail 429. It gets good reviews as well.
I was looking at these.. definitely piqued my interest, but seems very familiar to the ripmo. If I found that too burly I’d be afraid that I’d feel the same about this one

·
JRuss1524
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You rang?

So yeah, a quiver killer for someone who likes to go hard, but doesn’t want to haul around their grandmas sofa.

A short travel 29er brawler, GG Pistola is what I ride, Knolly Fugitive has a good rep, I’m sure there are others.

The things I’d look for are burly build, aggressive geo, good stoppers, meaty tires.

It’s gotta be a bike that’s built for enduro, but doesn’t ride uphill like youre dragging an anchor.

I like the Pistola because it’s so adjustable (two headset positions and two lower cup heights) it can be changed into other configurations, easy to swap wheels or run mixed wheels, and of course it’s made in Colorado 

I flog my Pistola like I would a big travel bike, it’s just solid. At the same time I’ll ride it for an all day epic and climb/descend 10k, never feels like too much bike; my Megatrail did feel like too much bike.
i have been looking at these.. I hate that the wait is sometime around 7 weeks right now, but it could be worth it. How does the pistol do on really slow, tight tech?

·
JRuss1524
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Complete build, XT, $5299 USD:

https://us.forbiddenbike.com/products/druid-xt-complete

View attachment 1353019
View attachment 1353021
View attachment 1353023

Squamish proven:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Frames,7/Forbidden/Druid,27121#product-reviews/3648

"We have always been drawn to short travel bikes with a gravity bias, so we reached out to our friends in Cumberland, BC to get ourselves the Druid for a few months of riding in Squamish, BC..."

"...we never felt the need to use the compression lever on the shock to help with efficiency and very few can match its technical climbing prowess..."

"Regardless of what section we rode and how we rode it, the Druid was planted and confidence-inspiring when we dropped our heels, and poppy and playful when we jibbed about. On the shorter punchy bits, the lack of pedal feedback meant we could put power to the ground easily without blowing our feet off, and the shorter-than-usual travel meant we could climb far more efficiently than the enduro bikes that tend to frequent the trail most of the time..."

"Regardless of feeling a little badly about dragging a 130mm bike up the chairlift, the Druid took rougher trails in stride and was an absolute rocket ship on trails like Ninja Cougar. After being so fun on the rolling, playful trails in Squamish we were impressed that the Druid also felt planted and composed on such high-speed, abusive trails."

View attachment 1353017
this is definitely high in my list.. I have just heard a lot of conflicting things about the suspension design. One guy on the Pinkbike forum said that if I found the ripmo too burly to avoid this Druid; something about it feeling like a mini dh bike.

How does it do on super tight twisty tech(up and down). Does it feel efficient under power?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts