Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older bike (cannondale m300 1994ish) with a 7 speed rear cassette. Bought it new. Been everywhere with it not replacing it. Need a new rear. It has an old Sovos that cannot be repaired due to lack of parts. I need a new 32H rear and I want a quiet freehub. What are my options?

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
DT Swiss 350s with the 18 tooth ratchet are very quiet and far less expensive than onyx, although not silent.

Before I swapped mine out to 36 tooth I could never hear it on the trail over the crunch of the tires on dirt. Only time I could notice it was when I spun it in the bike stand. However if bike stand silence is your goal then you don't have many options.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
This place needs an enema
17,702 Posts
DT Swiss 350s with the 18 tooth ratchet are very quiet and far less expensive than onyx, although not silent.

Before I swapped mine out to 36 tooth I could never hear it on the trail over the crunch of the tires on dirt. Only time I could notice it was when I spun it in the bike stand. However if bike stand silence is your goal then you don't have many options.
I agree -- 350's with 18t ratchets are quiet enough for me 90% of the time.

I do like the absolute silence of my Onyx tho.

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
Didn't realize silence cost so.much! My cheap sovos hub did it and it was probably a $25 hub. Lasted 25 years too.
If you shop around you can find dt350s with an 18t ratchet for about 200 bucks. I haven't shopped for them since the pandemic started so I don't know what the current situation is. Lightly greased they really are pretty darn quiet when you're actually riding.

Even more importantly you're getting a tried and true quality hub that has a long history of being one of the most durable hubs you can buy, at a reasonable cost.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Second the 350s with the 18t, pretty darn quiet and much lower pitch for the noise they make.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.