Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys, I'm a BMX guy, pretty sure it's still called a cassette. The freewheel noise when you stop pedaling... It's driving me nutty. :)

Thanks for the help on the nomenclature...

Everything is clean, and dialed... It's the noise when you stop pedaling, I need less noise. :)

·
Just Ride
1,738 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm a BMX guy, pretty sure it's still called a cassette. The freewheel noise when you stop pedaling... It's driving me nutty. :)

Thanks for the help on the nomenclature...

Everything is clean, and dialed... It's the noise when you stop pedaling, I need less noise. :)
There is actually a way to lessen that noise? I always figured it was standard on all bikes with a freehub?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some are louder than others, I'm simply asking if anyone has any recommendations on a quieter one. I'm not going to go with a "fixie"... I just would like a recommendation on a good, quiet (not silent) cassette.

Thanks for the help.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
The cassette is just the gears. There's no mechanism in it, unless you have an old or cheap bike, or some singlespeed setups.

On most multispeed bikes, including any that can have a 10-speed cassette, the ratcheting mechanism is part of the hub. You need to replace the whole hub if you're going to get a significant change. That probably means a new rear wheel. (Sometimes you can swap just the hub, but that's more the exception, and sometimes it makes sense to put an old rim on a new hub with new spokes.)

My cheap Shimano freehub was pretty quiet. Nicer Shimano freehubs are still relatively quiet too IME. Dunno about other brands' offerings, but I can tell you that the mechanism in an inexpensive DT Swiss hub is pretty loud, at least in comparison.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.