Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't help you with the ERD, but I did find this great spoke calculator that works great for fatbike wheels.

Freespoke
Thanks, I've seen that one, it is good.

Coincidences being what they are, the rims just rolled in. Freaky, considering I just spoke with them yesterday afternoon. All the way fro AK to NY for a 10:30 delivery. That's what I call instant gratification:thumbsup:

And damn they look good too.

1090 grams on my Ultimate scale, just 200 more than the Darryls I was going to use. Not too shabby considering I'm dropping 500 grams by losing the tube. This is getting better by the minute.....

·
It aint gonna ride itself
585 Posts
A couple of questions: Is the beadlock similar to the 70mm UMA? Any word on pricing and availability? (Though I'd assume they're available...) and are they available in an offset drilling pattern?

·
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple of questions: Is the beadlock similar to the 70mm UMA? Any word on pricing and availability? (Though I'd assume they're available...) and are they available in an offset drilling pattern?
Well, I'm just a schmo who ordered a pair, best to ask Greg and company (Thirstywork) for true answers, but here's my take.

Beadlock, I assume you mean is it tubeless compatible? Yes, came with the same yellow tape that you'd use on a Stans rim, just muuuuuuch wider.

Pricing for mine was $185, which is pricier due to the high polish finish. They are available, but limited quantities due them being used for production on their bikes. Call Speedway for more details....

As for drilling, these are 32 hole only, non offset, as they are designed to be used in a 170mm symmetrical rear end, or a 135 symmetrical front.

Whether they offer an offset is another question for them, sorry....

If it helps, here's a pic or two of them :cool:

Attachments

·
It aint gonna ride itself
585 Posts
Well, I'm just a schmo who ordered a pair, best to ask Greg and company (Thirstywork) for true answers, but here's my take.

Beadlock, I assume you mean is it tubeless compatible? Yes, came with the same yellow tape that you'd use on a Stans rim, just muuuuuuch wider.

Pricing for mine was $185, which is pricier due to the high polish finish. They are available, but limited quantities due them being used for production on their bikes. Call Speedway for more details....

As for drilling, these are 32 hole only, non offset, as they are designed to be used in a 170mm symmetrical rear end, or a 135 symmetrical front.
Thanks for the info...saves a call to Alaska (for the moment.) ;)

The 70mm version has a beadlock that isn't specifically for running tubeless, but does let a person run tubed tires at really low pressures without slipping. I like them a lot for that reason.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
In the photos, there apperar to be 4 small holes in the bead lock upper edge across from the valve stem hole...reason?

At first glance I thought that the cutouts were square, but the corners ARE rounded out, to prevent stress cracks from forming.

Thanks MCS for posting...first real info I have seen.

·
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the photos, there apperar to be 4 small holes in the bead lock upper edge across from the valve stem hole...reason?
Same thing I see on the Stans rims, which are there to allow the anodization fluid to drain out of the inside.

Saying that just now, I thought, wait, these are single wall, there is no "inside", but upon closer inspection, no, they have a narrow channel on the very edge which I assume, stiffens the whole rim up, nice extrusion work for sure!

·
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am interested to see how these work tubeless at real fat bike riding pressures, 5-10 psi or so. Call me intrigued.
According to Greg and Tim @ Speedway, they have been running this technology quietly for over a year. If those guys say it works for "real fatbike" conditions, I believe them...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Same thing I see on the Stans rims, which are there to allow the anodization fluid to drain out of the inside.

Saying that just now, I thought, wait, these are single wall, there is no "inside", but upon closer inspection, no, they have a narrow channel on the very edge which I assume, stiffens the whole rim up, nice extrusion work for sure!
Thanks MCS! Something learned today!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.