Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinkin about buyin the All mountain for my HT and i figured i might aswell stick with a locking clamp (im an idiot and forgot the name of it) instead of the QR20 and whatnot. Is the All mountain good for freeriding and dj or is it like strictly xc? Cause im not into riding xc and i dont have the money to afford a fork with a QR20 or similar axle.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
the all mountain is not for DJ and freeride.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think you could freeride the all-mountain forks if you don't go too big. They are obviously designed for 'all mountain' riding which consists of small drops, jumps etc. There's a reason they don't call it the 'Cross Country 1'. marzocchi AM line of forks are basically the same as there freeride 'Z1' series except with a few lighter parts, a smaller axle and the bonus of the TST terrain selection adjustment. If you don't go too big and are kinda smooth I doubt you'll have any issues.

The DJ series is another option and it really matters what you wanna use it for. The DJ series is heavier and has less travel cuz it's a beefier more urban/DJ oriented fork. If you want a fork that is primarily for All-mountain use but can still take some freeriding and yet be good enough for XC occasionally get the AM fork. But if you mostly freeride and for some crazy reason don't want a Z1 FR1 (such as you ride mostly urban/DJ's) then the DJ forks are the way to go.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dandurston said:
I think you could freeride the all-mountain forks if you don't go too big. They are obviously designed for 'all mountain' riding which consists of small drops, jumps etc. There's a reason they don't call it the 'Cross Country 1'. marzocchi AM line of forks are basically the same as there freeride 'Z1' series except with a few lighter parts, a smaller axle and the bonus of the TST terrain selection adjustment. If you don't go too big and are kinda smooth I doubt you'll have any issues.

The DJ series is another option and it really matters what you wanna use it for. The DJ series is heavier and has less travel cuz it's a beefier more urban/DJ oriented fork. If you want a fork that is primarily for All-mountain use but can still take some freeriding and yet be good enough for XC occasionally get the AM fork. But if you mostly freeride and for some crazy reason don't want a Z1 FR1 (such as you ride mostly urban/DJ's) then the DJ forks are the way to go.
well see the thing is, id like the Z1 FR and i can get it for relatively the same price as i can the AM but it would require me to buy a whole new wheelset. So i was lookin at the next best solution.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
dandurston said:
There's a reason they don't call it the 'Cross Country 1'. marzocchi AM line of forks are basically the same as there freeride 'Z1' series except with a few lighter parts, a smaller axle and the bonus of the TST terrain selection adjustment. If you don't go too big and are kinda smooth I doubt you'll have any issues.

Yes, but the AM has lighter tapered stanchions, a lighter crown, and in the 6" travel setting it's going to be a good deal flexier than a DJ or Z1. It's a great 5" travel all-mountain fork that is a good deal lighter than a Z1, and it's nice to extend it to 6" for the ocassional nasty downhill on a ride, but it's no Z1 or DJ.

You're right they don't call it the "XC1", but on the sticker that comes with the fork it says that you shouldn't use it for "DJ" and "freeride".

Your assessment is not far off or anything, but as a bike mechanic and salesperson red flags go off when I see someone say "I want an AM1 for some DJ and Freeride". If you say that you want it for mostly XC and trail use, and will only occsionally shuttle with it and not drop off of every big drop and such, then ok, but when you just say "DJ and freeride" I'd err on the side of caution and recommend a Z1 or DJ fork.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jm. said:
Yes, but the AM has lighter tapered stanchions, a lighter crown, and in the 6" travel setting it's going to be a good deal flexier than a DJ or Z1. It's a great 5" travel all-mountain fork that is a good deal lighter than a Z1, and it's nice to extend it to 6" for the ocassional nasty downhill on a ride, but it's no Z1 or DJ.

You're right they don't call it the "XC1", but on the sticker that comes with the fork it says that you shouldn't use it for "DJ" and "freeride".

Your assessment is not far off or anything, but as a bike mechanic and salesperson red flags go off when I see someone say "I want an AM1 for some DJ and Freeride". If you say that you want it for mostly XC and trail use, and will only occsionally shuttle with it and not drop off of every big drop and such, then ok, but when you just say "DJ and freeride" I'd err on the side of caution and recommend a Z1 or DJ fork.
ya id like to get the Z1 but id be put out another 150$ or so buying a new wheel setup but i think ill give it like another month or and see what kind of deal i can find or something. Friend works at bike shop so i can stuff for real cheap. But although i can get a great deal on any of those forks, it will cost me quite a bit to get that fork and then a new wheel.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
I'd go to the 20mm axle and you will never look back :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nothing agains the All Mountain but do you want to pay the extra $150 or do you want to have to replace ur stations on ur All Mountain fork when they bend, crack or just get destroyed. I would go with a Marzocchi Drop Off SC 6inch, this would fit your amount you want to pay and would be an excellent choice for uban, DJ, FR, and some DH.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.