1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
SRAM...Shimano who cares?
98 Posts
As a diet noob myself:
1x10 or 1x9
Carbon Bars/post
ESI grips
Check ebay for a 'old' WCS 4-axis or c260 (if you're lucky)
Nothing wrong with the Ardents (peace of mind is priceless) but Ignitors might give you similar performance and while on hard pack SB8 will also take good care of you. and make sure you go tubeless (SB8's can be a PITA to go this way but do able)

That'll chop off a solid pound maybe even two (depending on your bar/stem/post).

Good luck and happy riding

~JRA

·
Registered
285 Posts
Maybe too expensive but the most weight saving you can probably get in one item is to get a new wheel set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
What fork is on there? Looks like a Reba but I can't tell. If it is you aren't realistically going to drop a ton of weight there. If those are the at805 wheels you can definitely save some weight there but probably not cheaply. 1x, carbon post, not too much else? Is it a superfly?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,207 Posts
getting a ti cassette drops a ton of weight...also in the wallet

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought 2nd hand and original owner upgraded the brakes, tubeless, grips and handle bar.

From Cobia GF Collection 2012 bio-'

Trek's Cobia features a light, butted, hydroformed -luminum frame with G2 Geometry for the best riding position for fast climbs, rock-steady descents and rail-like cornering. And, with its 29-inch wheels the Cobia steamrolls over obstacles for excellent control. The durable parts package includes a plush, active RockShox Recon 29er fork, sweet Bontrager wheels, a precision-shifting SRAM 10-speed drivetrain and powerful Hayes disc brakes.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think its a recon silver in which case you can drop some weight there. The biggest weight savings will obviously be the two most expensive, wheels and fork. Least expensive is to lose the extra gears, front derail, and front shifter. Carbon seatpost will help and you can spend little to a lot but I dont know that its going to save you a noticeable amount of weight. Might notice a comfort increase with a better post.

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
What brakes do you have on there now?

Those wheels are anchors on your bike.
With LX hubs, w/o skewers:
1.04kg front
1.22kg rear

Also, the s800 crankset is 780g without bottom bracket. you could drop some weight there pretty cheaply.

What is your budget? That will help us give you better advice.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not sure what tires you have on their (wire or kevlar)? I swapped out my my X-King wire beads with some kevlar's (on sale at Performance for $25/ea), added a XC70 carbon bar, and lighweight tubes and dropped over a pound off my bike. Out the door everything was < $150. New fork is next, I have a XC 30 which is a boat anchor!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What brakes do you have on there now?

Those wheels are anchors on your bike.
With LX hubs, w/o skewers:
1.04kg front
1.22kg rear

Also, the s800 crankset is 780g without bottom bracket. you could drop some weight there pretty cheaply.

What is your budget? That will help us give you better advice.
Not really sure on budget. Couple hundred dollars would be ideal. But the cheaper the better if I can shave some weight. I do not need anything top of the line by any means.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Go to LBS and have them weigh your bike , or buy a cheap handheld luggage scale.
Buy a a few hex tools and a gram scale.
Weigh everything you have on there. That will be an objective look at what is weighing you down so to speak.
I could be wrong but your "total bike weight" seems to correlate directly with total cost of the bike. But once you have precise numbers on your parts you can easily figure out how much $ will drop how many grams/pounds.

·
I like pie.
585 Posts
I think its a recon silver in which case you can drop some weight there. .
You, wheels, tubes, tires, cranks, handlebar, stem, pedals, cassette.

Avoid carbon seatposts, get a Thompson.
Might make more sense to just buy a lighter bike considering the cost of the above suggestions.

Not really sure on budget. Couple hundred dollars would be ideal. But the cheaper the better if I can shave some weight. I do not need anything top of the line by any means.
A couple hundred dollars might save you a quarter-half pound.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bike weight means next to nothing if you are more than 12% body fat. Get a nice set of XC tires, train hard, eat right, and get plenty of rest.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Tires first for sure. Both of those tires are fairly heavy, you can shave a good amount of rotational weight for pretty cheap with some new rubber

1 - 20 of 45 Posts