Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
In need of some advice.
The backstory: My girlfriend and I planned a trip to the Seattle/Bellingham area for next week, to ride and see some of her family that lives there. First trip together in a while, so we're excited. However, at the end of last week I landed on a sharp rock off a drop and cracked my rear carbon wheel. Thankfully, We Are One has a great warranty policy and sent me a new one right away, and it just arrived today. However, since we leave to fly to Seattle (from the East Coast) tomorrow, my local shop doesn't have time to build up the new wheel for me. We had a big ride plan for Saturday and Sunday of this weekend, and me arriving Friday evening with a deconstructed rim, hub, tire, and cassette is obviously not ideal for that. Called around to a few shops in the area to see who could maybe get me in on Saturday, but everyone and their website said their wait time for service was way longer. I figure I might have more luck asking in person, but want to have a plan going in.

So, long shot, but does anyone know of a) a wheel builder / shop in the area who would help a fellow rider out and get me rolling this weekend (or early next week if needed) in exchange for full payment + a 6 pack, b) anywhere that might loan me a rear 29er wheel with an XD driver, or, if neither a or b work, c) a good shop that might cut me a deal on a rental for the full week (6 ride days). I need to get the wheel built up anyway so I'm obviously fine paying for it plus a "rush" fee of some sort, but I don't have the money to pay for 6 $90 demo days and also don't want to pack up my bike and fly it out there if I won't even get to ride it. Thanks in advance!

Will

· Registered
185 Posts
Hey all,
In need of some advice.
The backstory: My girlfriend and I planned a trip to the Seattle/Bellingham area for next week, to ride and see some of her family that lives there. First trip together in a while, so we're excited. However, at the end of last week I landed on a sharp rock off a drop and cracked my rear carbon wheel. Thankfully, We Are One has a great warranty policy and sent me a new one right away, and it just arrived today. However, since we leave to fly to Seattle (from the East Coast) tomorrow, my local shop doesn't have time to build up the new wheel for me. We had a big ride plan for Saturday and Sunday of this weekend, and me arriving Friday evening with a deconstructed rim, hub, tire, and cassette is obviously not ideal for that. Called around to a few shops in the area to see who could maybe get me in on Saturday, but everyone and their website said their wait time for service was way longer. I figure I might have more luck asking in person, but want to have a plan going in.

So, long shot, but does anyone know of a) a wheel builder / shop in the area who would help a fellow rider out and get me rolling this weekend (or early next week if needed) in exchange for full payment + a 6 pack, b) anywhere that might loan me a rear 29er wheel with an XD driver, or, if neither a or b work, c) a good shop that might cut me a deal on a rental for the full week (6 ride days). I need to get the wheel built up anyway so I'm obviously fine paying for it plus a "rush" fee of some sort, but I don't have the money to pay for 6 $90 demo days and also don't want to pack up my bike and fly it out there if I won't even get to ride it. Thanks in advance!

Will
You could tape the rims together and swap over all the spokes into the same holes... tension, true and dish on the bike using zip ties for a truing stand.

· Registered
422 Posts
Hey all,
In need of some advice.

Will
Try Bothell Ski & Bike 425 486-3747 Open at 11am

· Registered
343 Posts
that sucks man, you'll probably have better luck asking for a loaner wheel, maybe a friend back home or your local shop. you could also go on facebook and try to join the PNW mountain bikers group and see if someone might help you there. I have a 29er wheel from my wife's bike that's not in use, but it's non boost and we're in Richland which is 3hrs SE of seattle.

· Administrator
12,457 Posts
You could tape the rims together and swap over all the spokes into the same holes... tension, true and dish on the bike using zip ties for a truing stand.
This would be the best bet as long as your spokes weren't damaged in the impact, you should be good to go, at least for a couple of days of riding. If you want to do this when you get here and are staying in North Seattle you are free to borrow my tensionmeter and a spoke wrench for the tune up. I have a truing jig but it is for QR wheels only and I don't have any adapters, and it is pretty shitty.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately a few of the spokes were damaged in the crash and my mechanic already cut them to get to the hub while we were waiting on the new wheel (hoped it would get there sooner). But good suggestion, I have never tried this before but will look into it for next time I'm in a similar spot

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This would be the best bet as long as your spokes weren't damaged in the impact, you should be good to go, at least for a couple of days of riding. If you want to do this when you get here and are staying in North Seattle you are free to borrow my tensionmeter and a spoke wrench for the tune up. I have a truing jig but it is for QR wheels only and I don't have any adapters, and it is pretty shitty.
Thank you! As I said above don't think that would be an option but I will definitely reach out if I need either of those tools!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that sucks man, you'll probably have better luck asking for a loaner wheel, maybe a friend back home or your local shop. you could also go on facebook and try to join the PNW mountain bikers group and see if someone might help you there. I have a 29er wheel from my wife's bike that's not in use, but it's non boost and we're in Richland which is 3hrs SE of seattle.
Appreciate the offer! Yeah probably won't have time to make it over to Richland since I am working remotely during the week and we planned on Bellingham Sunday, don't want to change plans too much on gf and her dad. I will keep you in mind though!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woodinville Cyclery is worth a shot.
Worst case if you can get to Kirkland I can loan you a 29"/XD/Boost148 wheel it even has a DHF tire on it, bring your own rotor. PM me if that becomes necessary.
Preston, you are a stand-up guy, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that offer for the wheel loan. It's been stressful trying to figure this out and hearing that option on the table makes me feel so much better before I step on a plane with my bike bag in tow. I will definitely PM you by Friday night if none of the other options pan out! We will be staying over in Bellevue, but gf's aunt and uncle live in Kirkland so we'll be over that way too. Thanks so much. I like to think it's all the random favors I've done for other riders over the years paying off, whether it be loaning a tube or Clif bar or space on the shuttle rack. Cheers! - Will

· Administrator
12,457 Posts
I couldn't find anywhere called Ski Chalet on Google. Is it Alpine Hut by any chance? Alpine Hut
Alpine hut is a bike shop here, can't answer for the other user. There is one over north of Downtown by the sound, not sure if there is one out Bellevue way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.