Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I've been using endomondo because I've just been trying to track my cycling for my own personal benefit.

That being said, I see a good bit of local KOM's around here on Strava and I'm just dying to tear some of them up.

So, I've set up my account, downloaded it to my android, and everything.

--

So what do I do exactly?

Go to the starting point of that KOM, then just click start, or do I need to select that segment somehow from a map on my android app?

Once I hit the finish line, does it stop automatically, or do I need to fumble around with getting my phone back out of wherever I have it and click stop?

Also, last question -- does it have a timer countdown to start to allow me to get my phone into my pocket before I have to start?

--

Thanks. And yeah I realize I could test this all out tomorrow but I'm trying to envision things now to prepare mentally.

·
Competitive Edge Racing
138 Posts
You don't have to do anything. Just record your ride. STRAVA will let you know afterwards what segments you ride and where you placed. It will tell you who the leaders are of that segment and what your place is..... Automatically.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK so I'll go basically to the starting point, click record, then ride, and just mentally make sure I know that I went PAST the ending point, and it will handle the rest?

Does it inform you somehow when you've hit the finish line?

·
Competitive Edge Racing
138 Posts
Just start recording at the beginning of your ride (not where you think a segment begins). When your done with your ride you stop recording. Strava will automatically rank you on a segment(s) afterwards once the app syncs with their servers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol...thanks guys.

This is a good thing, kind of gives me a different reason to get into better shape. Some of these times people clock are insane.

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts
lol...thanks guys.

This is a good thing, kind of gives me a different reason to get into better shape. Some of these times people clock are insane.
Which is why it can be good to look at Strava with a giant grain of salt... I love Strava for the tracking features and such, but ultimately, I focus on comparing my times.

·
Registered
254 Posts
UPDATE: Apparently with Strava Premium and an Iphone you can get instant segment humiliation in real time that's easily shared with all your facebook friends.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You have to have someone push you at the start of the segment while you fire up strava. You think those insane time came from ordinary people just riding bikes?

Just kidding.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Also keep in mind that the KOM and second are only as good as the accuracy of the recording device. The phones record on 3 sec intervals I believe and you can have your Garmin record in 1 sec intervals. Basically, if you are within a few secs of the KOM..you may be the KOM! I use Strava and enujoy the hell out of it..lots of fun..just don't be a dbag and run over someone trying to get the KOM...or at least yell "STRAVA!" before you do it. :thumbsup:

·
rth009
922 Posts
Also keep in mind that the KOM and second are only as good as the accuracy of the recording device. The phones record on 3 sec intervals I believe and you can have your Garmin record in 1 sec intervals. :thumbsup:
Ive wondered about this. Just curious, how do you know phones record in 3 second intervals as opposed to Garmin. Are all phones the same?

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Ive wondered about this. Just curious, how do you know phones record in 3 second intervals as opposed to Garmin. Are all phones the same?
It was based on some searching I did on the subject. I did a little experiment a few weeks ago and tracked the ride with both my Garmin Edge 500 and my Galaxy S4 using the Strava app. I got 2 different sets of data and different KOMs for each! I would just be consistent. Also...think about this...a Garmin is a dedicated GPS built-for-purpose...I would think it would be more accurate than a phone.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
You just report it and they will remove if it looks like someone's gas was screwed up or they drove it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hrmm...so apparently I ran a few segments that were marked as 'hazardous' by some random person?

There was nothing hazardous about my ride at all. Short of staying inside your house, locked in your room, I can't think of a safer place to be. The path that I was on isn't even allowed to be used by cars.

I think my area may have a strava-hazardous-flagger troll.

·
The White Jeff W
5,692 Posts
I got a KOM last week on a segment I didnt even ride. (Sketchy Bomber Hill) It said I went 44 MPH, 2nd place was was 23 mph. I told friends that commented that my brakes failed.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,451 Posts
hrmm...so apparently I ran a few segments that were marked as 'hazardous' by some random person?

There was nothing hazardous about my ride at all. Short of staying inside your house, locked in your room, I can't think of a safer place to be. The path that I was on isn't even allowed to be used by cars.

I think my area may have a strava-hazardous-flagger troll.
I report all segments on multiuse greenway paths. It is beyond stupid to be racing/training there. Especially when you're riding through crowded areas and people are breaking 30mph, weaving between pedestrians, dogs, and baby strollers. I regularly see triathletes in their aero bars trying to train on one extremely busy local MUP. Downhill segments are a gray area. Some people think all downhill segments should be reported, and they report all of the ones that they ride. I think Strava should programmatically prohibit downhill segments. If the average grade is negative, Strava should not permit it. But they don't see it that way. I only report downhill segments on trails that are busy with two-way traffic. If it's not a terribly busy trail, I don't bother. If it's one-way, I don't bother. I will report road segments that go through stoplights or stop signs. DB in San Fran killed a pedestrian racing a downhill segment that went through stop lights. He ran a red and killed an elderly pedestrian that he ran into.

Also, some parks expressly prohibit racing. Some prohibit racing except during specific sanctioned events. This includes "digital racing" like Strava segments. Some land managers go on there and report all segments on their property. Some will report just segments through areas they deem inappropriate.

You can't report a segment unless you ride it, so it's not some random person. It's someone who has done that segment.

·
beater
5,933 Posts
I think Strava should programmatically prohibit downhill segments. If the average grade is negative, Strava should not permit it.
I disagree with this. Locations, trails, user communities, population densities, etc. vary widely. Whether or not downhill segments are problematic where you live and ride has nothing to do with where I do. A blanket policy seems inappropriate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts