Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am soon to be joining the homer ranks, with a 6pack. i've got a choice of a 400 or 500 spring on the DHX-C. I weigh 152lb, and would estimate that riding kit comes in around 10lb (is this the ballpark with a camelback?). Using a 'x3' for the 3:1 ratio, that calculates a spring of 483, which i guess i would round up to the 500.

but, i've not yet discovered the delights of hucking so won't be bottoming out regularly, and would rather run plush. plus the fork will be a pike, so i don't want to have the ride height jacked at the back and making the HA any steeper.

maybe i'm just worrying over nothing, but i've only ever had air shocks before, and want to get this right.
cheers for any advice.

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,120 Posts
Go 500

If your two choices happened to be 450 or 500, either may suit you and it would be dictated by your preference of riding style. I tend to lean toward firmer, wanting more bottom-out protection and better pedaling if the choice is between two options only 50 lbs different. But since there's a big difference between the two you have, I'd bet the 400 would feel really mushy soft. The 500 is probably just the ticket.

Rando

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a 151 pounds without gear. Probably an additional 10 lbs with gear, maybe more with body armour. I run a 500 spring and it seems to be just right. It gives around 30 % sag and no excessive bottoming.

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone. should be a couple of weeks from now and i'll be posting pictures of the new build. can't wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.