Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[EDIT: Cusacks is part of Nisene, and Nisene maps says Cusacks is for Hiking only, not biking.
So, answer is NO :)
]

Presuming Cusacks is open to bikes (and pls lmk if not -- CA Fire maps shows Yes?),

Have you ridden Cusacks in the last 2-3 weeks? If so, was it dried out yet, or how muddy did you and your bike end up getting?

Thank you in advance. Much appreciated!

Planning a ride this weekend.

·
middle ring single track
4,674 Posts
Have you ridden Cussacks in the last 2-3 weeks? If so, was it dried out yet, or how muddy did you and your bike end up getting?

Thank you in advance. Much appreciated!

Planning a ride this weekend.
You might want to rephrase the question without naming the trial; it's not open to bicycles.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You might want to rephrase the question without naming the trial; it's not open to bicycles.
Thanks for the note! I appreciate it.
I might be confusing things, but from the CA Fire map, looks like Cusack is open to bikes? Same on Google Maps, fwiw.

CA Fire map screenshot below and link here: https://www.fire.ca.gov/media/3970/sdsf_brochure.pdf

I also rode it back in March (very muddy), and didn't notice any No Bike signs. But maybe I just missed, though I usually try to pay attention to signage.

Attachments

·
Paper or plastic?
10,037 Posts
Did anybody hike it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moe Ped -- I saw your other Demo/Nisene post and also noticed your signature. So looked doubly.

THANK YOU! Cusacks is part of Nisene, not Soquel.

The Nisene map says HIKING only.

Though Cusacks is on the Soquel map, the Soquel maps is not as authoritative.

Updating my OP now.

·
F*** it
1,126 Posts
"Did anybody hike it?"

Ever?! I think Nisene has basically abandoned it. It hasn't been signed in recent history (ever?). Don't sweat it. Nobody cares!

·
middle ring single track
4,674 Posts
I might be confusing things, but from the CA Fire map, looks like Cusack is open to bikes? Same on Google Maps, fwiw.

I also rode it back in March (very muddy), and didn't notice any No Bike signs. But maybe I just missed, though I usually try to pay attention to signage.
Of course that's not on CDF property so their map may not be 100% and it says as much.

Interestingly the State Park's map incorrectly shows some of the trails in Demo as hiking-only.

Regardless The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park brochure show Cusack's as hiking only. Only 4 single-track trails in the south side of the park are legit for bikes as are the fire roads.

·
middle ring single track
4,674 Posts
"Did anybody hike it?"

Ever?! I think Nisene has basically abandoned it. It hasn't been signed in recent history.
Signs have about a 48 hour shelf life in the backwoods.

I have a long family history with that area, my dad used to ride his Harley there in the 1930's, when I got my first M/C around 1966 he showed me all of the trails including Cusack's which back then was a no-hassles moto route. Aptos Creek Road had just become gated but you could still drop down through private property by what became Ridge Trail. (The gate has since moved up the road to its present location) By the mid 70's access began to become restrictive; IMHO it was more hippy misbehavior than moto (or jeep) misbehavior that got everybody locked out until the State acquired Demo Forest. Of course a hippy on a moto is just plain bad news.

·
Registered
183 Posts
To summarize: Cusack(s) Trail - being in Nisene Marks SP, above the steel bridge - is not legally open to bikes. But everyone rides it anyway.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Signs have about a 48 hour shelf life in the backwoods.

I have a long family history with that area, my dad used to ride his Harley there in the 1930's, when I got my first M/C around 1966 he showed me all of the trails including Cusack's which back then was a no-hassles moto route. Aptos Creek Road had just become gated but you could still drop down through private property by what became Ridge Trail. (The gate has since moved up the road to its present location) By the mid 70's access began to become restrictive; IMHO it was more hippy misbehavior than moto (or jeep) misbehavior that got everybody locked out until the State acquired Demo Forest. Of course a hippy on a moto is just plain bad news.
Thanks for the insight and history on the area. So I guess the dudes who passed me on trials bike a few months ago were breaking the law? Come to think about it probably I have ever seen anyone on that trail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts