Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Quick release's with strong clamping power?

4K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  Veda 
#1 ·
I ride a rigid SS with 180mm rotors and BB5 brakes. I am 235lbs and when I brake hard the front wheel shifts in the dropouts enough so that the rotor rubs and the whole wheel is shifted to the side. I have the stock quick releases basically as tight as I can get them but they still move under stress. I've heard that internal cam quick releases like the Shimano XT and XTR are very good. Are they? Or is there another type that you would suggest? I'm willing to spend $50 or so for a nice set because I'm just looking for something that I can use so I don't have to stop every time I brake hard to re-adjust my wheel alignment.

#23 ·
and The split qr's also dont really clamp that tight, because if you do clamp them tightly, the smaller lever is a biznatch to release.

As well as the plastic cam piece wears out quickly, and then makes them super sticky/not smooth. I had to keep dousing them in lube for them to be smooth. Ended up sending them back under warranty, and sold the new set i got.

As for crank brothers the company though, They may not have the best products, but their customer service is higher than the industry standard without a doubt.

But yeah, If you carry a mini tool, the bolt on skewers are great to use, as well as are super light. They take hardly any time to release, and if you have a flat during a race, youre going to have to go into your seat pack for some co2 anyway. But you should be running tubeless and stans anyways. :-D

#24 ·
mtnbikecrazy55 said:
i guess. I was just comparing them to the kcnc skewers. I have had great luck with the kcnc skewers, but the salsa ones are smooth and clamp nicely. I would however say the crank brothers skewers are not as good as you would think. Other than being super heavy, they are pretty finicky to work with.
Salsa skewers are about the best of the externals, and I used them for years, pre suspension forks. Just not near as good as internals.

I never expected the CB skewers to work well. Your description sounds a bit better than I thought.

#26 ·
erichwic said:
Have a feeling that the RWS system is still stronger, even if you put a bar on the end of that allen key.
Explain your logic...it's nothing more than a ratchet with a lever. The longer the lever, the more torque you can apply. So if anything the RWS would be weaker than what I have shown.
:idea:

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/RWS.aspx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.