Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a rigid SS with 180mm rotors and BB5 brakes. I am 235lbs and when I brake hard the front wheel shifts in the dropouts enough so that the rotor rubs and the whole wheel is shifted to the side. I have the stock quick releases basically as tight as I can get them but they still move under stress. I've heard that internal cam quick releases like the Shimano XT and XTR are very good. Are they? Or is there another type that you would suggest? I'm willing to spend $50 or so for a nice set because I'm just looking for something that I can use so I don't have to stop every time I brake hard to re-adjust my wheel alignment.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
XT should work fine. Why spend the clams for that extra letter?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
reptilezs said:
any shimano skewer. even the cheap ones are smooth and strong
agreed. I recently got an entry level Shimano skewer from my LBS's parts bin for $5 and it feels the same and works just as well as the XT skewers I've bought for my other bikes

·
Registered
357 Posts
Salsa skewers are prettier, but they don't clamp as tightly. And if you up the clamping force, the plastic cam parts wallow out.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
apat13 said:
Hope skewers are on par with shimano for clamping force.
I have yet to see any external cam QR work as easily, clamp as tightly and last as long as an internal cam.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
DT Swiss RWS skewers create higher clamping force than quick releases.

Best thing for you would be a through bolt front end of course, but that's a whole 'nother ball game.

·
Registered
964 Posts
+1 on the DT Swiss RWS system. I'm gong that route now. Of course, it depends on what hubs you are currently using. Many of the hub manufacturers have end caps so one can use the the RWS system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anybody had much experience with crank brothers skewers? I would think with the dual system you could get a lot of force on them.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Tagman said:
Has anybody had much experience with crank brothers skewers? I would think with the dual system you could get a lot of force on them.
Still has all of the disadvantages of an external cam, x2. And costs more.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts