Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a bike that has Quick Release on both wheels. But since I'll be using this as a college commuter as well as a Mountain Bike, I'd like to switch out the quick release with bolt ons.

Is it possible and if so, what should I be looking for? Or are there any good locking Quick Release that are good and decently priced?

The Bike is a 2008 Raleigh XXIX BTW.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would is be as simple as buying new skewers or would I have to make any modifications? I'm fairly new when it comes to this, so the less work I would have to do, the better.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Sudds said:
...I'm fairly new when it comes to this, so the less work I would have to do, the better...
Go with any of the 3 products linked above. They are basically "bolt on" skewers, just swap out the qr skewers and you're done

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DanD said:
Go with any of the 3 products linked above. They are basically "bolt on" skewers, just swap out the qr skewers and you're done
I'll be going with the Halo Hex Key Skewers. Any idea if I will need the XL ones or should the normal size work?

·
MONKEYMAN
791 Posts
I have experience with both the Halo and the delta's- I prefer the delta's because the nut the skewer threads into is steel instead of aluminum. they're called 'axle rods'

The Halos threads stripped on me after a few months.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I second the delta axle rods. The weight on the linked site is correct! That's for front and rear steel skewers. Not to mention the price or the added stiffness from the additional clamping power of bolt-on skewers. It's a real no-brainer.

I also own some bolt-on skewers that require a pentagonal tool rather than the normal hexagonal allen wrench the the axle rods use. I don't know what brand they are but they'd definitely be more challenging to remove tool-wise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts